Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Women of Today

I get confused when I see women of
today. Some of them are doing so well.
Yet others, just can't get it together.

They depend on men. Not themselves.
They revolve their whole lives around the
man, let him lead her, make choices for
her, and fall apart when he dumps her,
because he is bored. Or worse yet, abuses
her.

We talk about how we have come a long way,
baby. As the old commerical use to say. Yet,
many have not. Which I find sad.

Watching Judge Judy, with the King, always
amazes me how these women will hand over
a lot of money. From hundreds to thousands.
And of course the standard excuse from the
man is ..."she gave it to me as a gift". Yea,
right. Maybe I am too close with my money.
But there is no way on earth I would give
a man I wasn't married to, that kind of money.

Some of these women did give the money with
the idea they would get something back. Besides
the money. What fools. And some of them only
know the guy for a week!! Or it was for bail money.
Now girl, where is your sign. Fools... Fools....

Don't get me wrong. Not all men are like that.
Not all women get fooled like that. But enough
to make you wonder. When I was working in a
nursing home and payday would come by, I was
flabbergasted to see how many young women in
their 20's, who would give their checks to their
"man". My question is why wasn't he at work.
And the other thing was, he left the kids with
her mother. What is with it? Some of them
came in the next day, with shiners. My heart
went out to them for making the wrong choices.

And fools don't listen to the older generation,
because several of my fellow workers tried to
explain to them, they didn't have to go thru
this anymore. There are good men out there.
There are places to go. Yet we see them
repeat it the following payday.

I truly hope women find ways to empower
themselves. They can share time with a man,
without having him own her. And she doesn't
have to buy him either.

I always applaud women who follow their dreams.
Be they small or large. And yes, being over 50
does seem to empower us. Especially those of
us who are over 50 now. Those of us who were
born and bred to be mothers first and foremost.

And a job was just something you did as you
were waiting for the white knight and your children.
A lot of women have gone on, without the white knight...
finding out there were a lot more frogs than white knights.
Some have done the nest thing and then went on to find new
roads to travel with and without our white knights.

Some of us slow down and smell the roses, and find another
white knight. So it is empowering to learn at 50+ to know we
can have options, and we can do it with out removing our nesting
part too, if we so chose. Which makes me wonder some times,
what will it be like in 30 years when the 20 something's now,
who seem to do it all... will they feel empowered or will it be just
another day.

No comments: