Thursday, November 20, 2008

Welcome to Idaho

We came to Idaho from R.I. 26 years ago.
We were here for 2 weeks, when the school
informed us that there was lice in the school.
For the parents to check their kids.

So, here we were, our stuff still pretty
much still packed in the bus we used to
move out here. And we were staying with
friends in the Vay area. So the two of us
checked the kids. Being I had no experience
with this, I had to follow my friend’s lead.

She found lice on one of her kids. So the
We had to go thru the routine of washing
everything we own. Luckily, like I said,
Most of our things were still packed. But
We had to wash everything she had.

Now you have to understand, they lived
in a house without water. Well, they had
running water, as the joke went in their
house. You ran out to the well and pumped
it up. So it was to the Laundromat we had to go,
To do all the wash. Sheets, blankets..everything.

And then…. The bath and head shampoos.
IN the outhouse. Boil water, mix with cold,
Take it to the outhouse, have the kid wash.
Boil the next one for rinse. This was for 5 of
mine and 3 of hers.

You haven’t lived until you have washed 8
kids in an outhouse.
Told my kids.. Welcome to Idaho!!

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

I LOVED it when mine got head lice, actually it was only Jacob that use to get it regular from cub camp....

And all that washing you did all those years ago, well, let me tell you, lice dont live long and neither do the nits(eggs) if not attached to a head LOL so all that washing was for nowt :)

x