Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Planning for the future, or lack of....

One of the things on the agenda when you get to be 70
is the line up things, to make it easier for your family.
Meaning like wills, trust funds, even funerals.

I don’t think there is any way to make it go smoothly.
As death and funerals are like weddings, if anything can
go wrong, it will. But at least I can try to have some things
lined up. So I decided to start.

One of the hard things is, find a lawyer that you like and
trust. Which isn’t as easy as it sounds. As there are different
lawyers for different needs. And to me, I have to at least like
this person, besides trust them. I want to know what my options
are, then have them tell me how to do what I want to do legally.
So someone can’t reverse what my wishes are.

So where do you start? Phone book? After all I have kept my
nose clean so to speak, and have not had a need for any lawyer.
Some friends have favorites but they don’t seem to be the will/trust
type of lawyers. I can’t afford a big time lawyer. So when I see a
fancy office and all kinds of pretty ladies walking around busily, it
doesn’t encourage me. I want a no nonsense, no frill, just the legal
knowledge for what my needs are.

Heck this seem harder than the paper work that I want to do.
I would do it myself…but you know what they say about having
yourself for a client…
And also I want to find one local so I don’t have to travel to
go see the lawyer.

Maybe I should Google how to pick a good lawyer for what
you need.

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

I have a software program that handles all that for you. I have done mine and it is on the coffee table in the living room waiting to be signed and witnessed.