Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Quarter Horses Owners, be not ashamed

I have been around horses before I was born. I think
our mother had us two when she did, so we didn’t
interrupt her horse showing each summer.
Our weekends, as we were growing up was haying
and horse shows.

Back East it was 90% gaited or jumpers with 10% western.
When I moved to California it was the other way around.
90% western and 10% English saddle. And pretty much
the same in Washington state. In Washington I mostly
went to rodeos. And the Quarter Horse was king. There
were a few of the other breeds there but 2/3rds was
Quarter Horse. I even owned a few myself. Even though
I preferred Morgan’s.

For those who are not up with horses and breeds, think
cowboy horse. As most of them were Quarter Horses. And
they have been used for 100’s of years for chasing or herding
cattle. A proud horse with head held high. Only one who held their
higher maybe the Arabian Horse.


So imagine my surprise when I attended a horse show about
2 or 3 weeks ago with my friend Virginia. Because what I saw
surprised me, no, really shocked me. I didn’t say much as I
didn’t want to look like a hick. And then Mardette Lewis joined us.
Now Virginia Tibbs and Mardette have over 50 years of horses
under their belts each. Raising them, having their kids ride. In fact
the reason why we were there that day, was because two of
Virginia’s daughters were showing.

I listen to Virginia and Mardette talk, and finally I got brave enough
to ask “what is up with these Quarter Horses? Why do they have
their heads down like slaves who are forbidden to look their masters
in the face? And what is with the gaits? The walk is a mile an hour and
the jog is 2 miles an hour and the lope is 3 miles an hour, with a rocking
motion. And the horses nose 2 feet from the ground, what is with that?”

Well, did I get an ear full from both of these ladies. Seems they hate this
new thing that has come up in the past years of showing. Seems some
judge (who I swear must have hated Quarter horses) gave big prizes
to those who horse rode like that. And there for every one started to
train their horse to do the same. What sadistic judge would have a
proud horse, such as the Quarter horse ride and be judge like that?
Be it across the plains, or fields or a rodeo ring, a Quarter horse gallops
at full speed with head up, maybe nose pointed out, but head raised.

Quarter Horse riders of horse shows, stand up for your breed,
And for the love of a horse, stand up for your horse. This is NOT natural.
It is inhumane, it is cruel, and it is NOT NATURAL. Quarter Horse owners,
be not ashamed, nor let your horse look like he is ashamed. Stop this
insanity.

For some reason blogspot only published part of my post, so had to
re do it...


No comments: