Monday, August 23, 2010

Take this Job and Shove it....

The song by Johnny Paycheck was on the top 10 for weeks, and
who knows maybe even months, and still resounds from time to
time.

Who of us of the work force, hasn’t thought that at least once and
actually many times. And to be fair, even housewives have thought
it. Some have actually ran away… I know I sent a friend many years
ago, into fits of laughter when he caught me talking to myself. I was
on the floor scrubbing with a brush some extra heavy dirt or stains.
and mumbled aloud to what I thought was myself…. “I am going to break
out of this joint one of these days”.

So when we see in the media that some one has finally reached the breaking
point, we understand. We might not have had the guts to go for the gusto, or
have the moxie to do it. But we all understand… and we all have different breaking
points. Some of them stretched to the max due to survival. Some
who can’t take it anymore but can’t put their families in jeopardy. Or in this day
and age, are so grateful for a job in a jobless market, that endure all kinds of
abuse in the workforce. Sadly some bosses know that.

What is the breaking point? That changes from person to person. I think
the younger ones are the bravest about breaking out. You would think
when 6 teens walk off a job all together, that maybe you have a manager
problem. Some chose a quieter way by “retiring” from the job. Those lucky
enough to be able to do so. Some go postal, as the word goes…

And some trudge along in their thankless job, and silently say YES, when they
hear some who says take this job and shoved it and goes down a plane chute with
a glass of beer…. I know there was a gal who was our hero, because she was again
being brought on the carpet for petty things, and being embarrassed in front of
fellow workers…. To finally reach that point of no return and said…”
F__k YOU… F__K YOU…and walked out the front door with her head held high….
With bosses who stood there with their mouths agape.
And when they yelled after her, “You come back here, or you will never work here
again”… and she repeated her phase…. With more on the YOU.
She was our hero for some time…
I know some will say that the language was over board...but some how saying..
the hell with you, didn't quite cover it for her...

2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margie's Musings said...

I have been in that situation before. Once when I worked for a radio station and it was sold. The new manager wanted all the account lists and he was going to redistribute the accounts. I had worked hard to accumulate those accounts and I didn't think it was fair. It took me a year to get my account list back where it had been and paying pretty well again. Then he wanted to redistribute accounts again. I absolutely refused so he fired me. I was delighted to learn that dozens of my accounts took their business elsewhere. They appreciated the way I handled their accounts.