Wednesday, October 13, 2010

GUEST AUTHOR

This was on Facebook, and for those who don’t do Facebook
There is a status slot to fill in your thoughts. And a lot of times you see
someone else’s status and you are asked to copy and paste it to
your profile status slot if you also believe it to be true…. So I did that
yesterday. A fellow blogger named Thom has posted it on his status.
And today, there was a comment. A great answer to the statement.
So below this statement you will find an comment from my guest author.

1 of every 10 people born is gay. That means 1 of every 10 people is instantly put down, given bad labels, left alone, put in a minority, andso much else. All for something they didn't ask for. Many gay teens arecommitting suicide as a way of escaping. If you want to tell them life will get better, and you respect them for who they are, copy and paste this.

THE GUEST AUTHOR’S COMMENT….
"As someone who was born gay and someone who has and is going threw the prejudice and ignorance of not only people but a former employer. I am fighting to make things better to let these kids know that life will get better and to hopefully make things better so the next generation does not have to go threw the things I have. Do not let being gay define who you are as it is not a death sentence, let what type of human being you are define you. I always say that I am not proud of being gay, but I am not ashamed of being gay either, as it is not a matter of pride or shame it is just the way that Grandfather made me. I do not usually speak out about being gay especially in public forums, but felt it was important to do it this time if even one kid listens to what I have to say and it helps them. I am 45 years young and I went through 9 years of counseling to deal with the effects of my childhood abuse and before I came to grips with being gay at age 38. Because of a prejudice father, society, and a church I was lead to believe that I had a demon in me and that there was something mentally wrong with me because of how I felt so I buried my feelings at a very young age. This caused more damage then the physical abuse I endured as a child. I consider myself very lucky in the fact that Grandfather, the lessons of my Mom and Dad and yes even the things I endured as a child made me very strong and the fact that when I did come to grips with being gay, that all the shame, fear, and guilt went out the window. I give credit to myself first and foremost for surviving, to my counselor Carolyn of 9 years who had to of been sent by Grandfather to help me, and the acceptance of my Grandmother, mother, sister and my true friends. People who will not accept you because you are gay is no different then if they didn’t accept you because you liked the color blue instead of green, they are very shallow people who are not worth your time and the effort. I feel sorry for them, as it seems the ones I have delta with are so miserable in there own lives that they can only feel better by making those around them as miserable as they are, don’t give them the satisfaction or time of day. Surround yourself with positive people who love you for who you are not what you are. Do not hide or be ashamed of yourself, have strength and most importantly self respect and let no one take it away from you as that is your biggest asset. My counselor taught me that no one can make you do or feel anything you don’t allow them to make you do or feel. They act and you have a choice of how you will or will not react. Self respect, self Love, and self protection is some of the hardest things to obtain and keep, think of the person that you most love in your life and in any situation think of how you would feel if it where happening to them and let that be the guide for yourself. Only by being LIVING proof can we make a difference in prejudice and ignorance, weather we are women, man, black, native, or gay. So please I beg of you to hang in there kids, find and surround yourself with supportive people who love you for who you are, a beautiful and loving spirit that deserves love and respect, not what they think or want you to be.
CHEYENNE…

Because I believe when divorced, the children should live where they feel the most comfortable, Cheyenne moved back and forth between my ex and myself. Something’s you don’t learn until a child is older. So when she mentions Father, that was her birth father. When she refers to Dad, that was my second husband. Who she dearly loved and chose to take his name when she became an adult. Reference to Grandfather, is to her belief in the Native American side of her…
I am proud to say, Cheyenne is my daughter…

3 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I understand the situation. I had a gay uncle and a gay cousin (who was disowned by his own father, my uncle).

msroque said...

Thanks for the awesome post...I remember a few things from my childhood....one was We are all children from God and have the right to be here...love you

msroque said...

...awesome post...so honest.... I quote something I read somewhere, it said "we are all children of God and have the right to be here". Hugs to Cheyenne and you today.