Monday, October 25, 2010

Women with no names....

I was going thru a lot of papers and books.
Among them was one from a church. I took
it for granted it was a cookbook like churches
put out annually.

But this one wasn’t. It was mostly ads and names,
for a Bazaar that was going to be going on.
It had the people it was dedicated to, which was
my Great Aunt May and Uncle Bill. And then there
was a list of committees and who was on each
of these committees. The booklet was from
the 1960’s …1961 I believe.

Do you know what I learn from that booklet?
I learn that women did not have first names
in the 1960’s. Not unless they were single.
As all the rest of the women only had a name
of “MRS.” Not one single first name. Unless
it was started with “Miss”. Men had first names.
Mr. And Mrs. Wm. Smith…Mr. And Mrs. John Doe.

Wonder what year women started to have first names.

No comments: