Wednesday, May 02, 2012

How are those numbers again?

They are really pushing the new light bulb. The new and improved.
Which those words alone strike terror in our hearts. As those old enough
have seen our favorites go down the tube, with the new and improved.
I have the old feeling of, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

That was true many years ago when I used a soap deterrent called ALL. It
was the best. It got grease and oil out of my husband's work clothes. It got
all the wonderful things that kids can get into their clothes, out and clean.
And then they came out with a new and improved ALL... which was not. The
oil and grease failed to come out and the kids stains stayed. I even wrote to
the company complaining...to deaf ears.. after all they were making more
money with this new and improved.. but not from me.. I switched.

I was reading the article on the new light bulb that will cost $60!!
$60 flaming dollars (flaming because it was burning up my money).
It was said that this new and improved light bulb
will be cost efficient as it won't used as much electricity. Which I think that
might be true because they are talking 10 watts.. that must be a misprint. But
do know that the suggested of 60 watts of late has made reading
harder for me.. Thought I
was losing my sight, until I was reading something in my friends kitchen with
bright lights and saw I could read quite well.
But if you take the $60 and
divide by the 20 years... that is $3.00 a year. How does that match up against
the regular bulb that I can buy 3 for $3.99 at home depot? That last for years
for me.. Some have lasted over the 14 years we have been in this house.

Then you have the cars that
are getting 39 to 41 miles per gallon. Some of them use electric. But if you
take an average of the $20,000 to $35,000 that they cost about (27,500) and
divide that by 8 which they say is the average amount of years the average
family keeps a car... makes it $3,437.50
a year. That buys a lot of gas for the average family that doesn't
travel much. So why get into the payments, plus interest? Say nothing about the
electric ones and how much it will cost to recharge those batteries. Right now
they act like that is free. But it isn't. I
am sure the household bill
goes up and those charging stations aren't going to be free either. And some of
the only get 30 to 40 miles to the charge. That is ok around town, but you
don't travel, at that rate it will take days to get where you want because of
the hour or more to charge the batteries.
Plus the average battery that is used, is about $4,000 to $7,000 and
only last about 2 years.

So how much is it going to
save us.. doesn't seem like much. Surely not enough to go into debt. I realize
some day.. probably not in my life time.. the vehicles will all be electric or
such. But like I said.. not in my life time.. so I am not going to go into debt
for one.. nor worry about it. All my
vehicles are paid for. Not new.. but serviceable... gets me from point A to
point B.. and look at all the money I am saving without those payments.

No comments: