Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THESE HANDS

I as I was washing my hands last night, I noticed,
so many sores and scratches and just tired looking hands
that look so rough... It brought to my mind, Hank Snow's
song about hands. I
can't remember all of the words.. only
a few here and there... it went something like this.....
These hands are
calloused and old
If these hands filled
their task then what more could one ask
For these fingers
have worked to the bone
While these hands
brought me happiness
Now I'm tired and I'm
old and I ain't got much gold
Take a look at these
hard working hands
So true of my hands... they have served me well for these
72 years. And while I don't feel that
old, I look down at these
old hands batter and rough, and they
have brought me
happiness. As I have held my babies who
have grown to
adults, and grandchildren and even
great grandchildren.
They have held the elderly as I took
care of them over the
years of being an aide. And they have
let me hold on so
tightly as life has given me a roller
coaster ride.
Some times it makes me sad, as I
realize all that they have
been thru... these hard working hands.
And I have taken them
for granted up until recently, as I
feel how they don't grip as well,
as they use to. The jars are harder,
the zip bags are harder.
But as old and callous as they are,
they still work well...
Looking at these hard working hands...

1 comment:

Betty said...

Looking at my wrinkled, old-looking hands, I am always startled. They look just like my late mother's hands.