Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Remember things….


As I removed my loafers on Sunday after church… I thought of how many loafers I had over the years.. My first pair were brown with a copper penny in them, later to be changed to dimes.… After I became an adult… I bought black. And had dimes in them.  Do any of you remember why we put dimes in our loafers?   It was to use in a pay telephone…  For those under 30.. those were phones in stores and gas stations.    We would have those dimes in case we got in trouble, or a guy was out of line or dump you, or just needed mom and dad to come get you…



So many things of years ago… toughing up your feet in the summer, going barefooted… because shoes were for church. And when streets started to be paved.. it was hot foot for sure.. but your feet harden up and you could walk anywhere.

Haying was a big part of my summers.  Mom and Dad mowing.. me until my brother got old enough, kicking hay in rows. Until Mom and dad got a rake.  Me driving the truck while my parents threw hay on to the truck.. My brother driving when he reached 7 and I had to stomp the hay down so we could get more on.

Those were the days of unlocked doors. Keys left in the cars and trucks.  No one stole your vehicle, or broke in to you home in the country.  My kids got to be raised in a similar childhood…. Too bad kids these days aren’t.


318

No comments: