Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Getting up early, no relief

As many of you know, I worked in a nursing home.
A few years ago, I was getting a gentleman up for the day.
He wasn't thrilled as it was 5:30am. So I told him I understood
completely. I told him this:
Yes, Ray, I can understand why you aren't happy about this.
You see when I was a little girl, my mother would wake me up
really early so I could do chores before I got ready for school.
As the school time went by, I could not wait until I gradutated
from school, so I could sleep in.... But when I graduated from
school, I had to earn an living. So I had to get up early to go to
my job. So I thought I can't wait until I get married, so I can
sleep in.... Well, I got married.... but I had a lot of kids... so
there was no sleeping in.... So I dreamt of the day when all
my kids would get thru school and on their own, so I could
sleep in...... Well, then my husband passed away and I had
to get a job. So I could not sleep in... And do you know what
upsets me now, Ray? He said no... I said.. what upsets me
now is.... I figured when I retired and was old, I could sleep
in..... but now I know I will probably will end up in a nursing
home, and some young person is going to come in and
say...... time to get up, Cis...
AND I STILL WON'T BE ABLE TO SLEEP IN.......
He thought that was funny.... I'm not so sure I think it is funny.

1 comment:

stebbijo said...

Hi --

I have worked nursing homes as well and it is a sorry state of being when we as caregivers have to haul ill people out of bed during the early wee hours of the morning.

I am like you -- I know it -- because I have worked it and I fear it. We are not children as we age -- it is supposed to be our 'Golden Years.'

The last job I had at a nursing home -- the bowel program was so bad the workers were using toilet paper wads as 'stoppers.'

I wonder if we can order 50 MG of Morphine IM on our advanced directive if forced to get out of bed before 8:30 AM ?