Thursday, March 10, 2005

Social Security 101

The great life of Social Security
People see those in their 70's running around in RV's on TV and think what a wonderful life it is going to be living on Social Security.
When in reality those are the exception to the rule and not the rule. Those are people who had IRA's and any one of the regular retirement plans. Some thru their jobs, some they planned on their own. Or who sold their homes, and are living in that RV...24/7. Talk about downsizing.
Social Security was not made for people to live on. But in reality it was for the lower income people. When the families were big (5 or more children) there just was not extra money to put to side for a retirement. Bush says he wants to take part of the SS and have it invested. What I have to ask is what is the difference of that and what is today? Unless, it will be a mandatory thing, like the counties do. Most county employee's be it police officers or school districts, have what is called PERSI that is deducted from their wages. This is not a choice. Most of them are about $114 a month. While that makes the wage earners check smaller each month, it is not a bad thing. So is Bush going to force every business to have a PERSI type retirement? If he is going to have it where you are to take the extra (?) money and put it into your own idea of retirement, well, I just don't see that happening. And anyone who has had stock for the past 10 years knows how unreliable they are. Stock started fall way before the 9/11 incident. A good share of it was happening in February before. I have always had the idea that if you want to buy stock, you should have the mentality that you could flush 100's of dollars down a toilet and not flinch. Because it could happen when you buy stock. Company stock, well, just mention Enron to any of those retired employees and you will get your answer there. So far the Social Security in its wobbliness, is the most dependable. But I agree there needs to be changes, to make it stronger. I don't know what the answer is. It would be wonderful if the government agencies who borrow from it over the past 70 years, paid it back..but that isn't going to happen. But making people work longer, does not seem right either. Yes, those at desk jobs or similar will be able to work longer, may even want to. But those of us who are labor workers, who lift with our bodies, well, we just don't have it. I was an nurses aide for 17+ years. But I knew at the end, there is no way I could continue to lift, push, and pull over 100 pounds on a regular basis. Human beings relied on my strength. I would go home at the end of my shift, many mornings (I worked the noc shift) and got together with my friend, Ben. Ben Gay that is. (I wonder will they have to change that name?) Anyway, I would lift, and push, and pull all thru the night, and the last hour of my shift, I was to work even harder than the other 7 hours. By fully dressing, transferring,lifting residents. So I bailed out. For the safety of those who I cared for. Had I had a desk job, I might have gone another 10 years.
Also the misconception of the rich on Social Security. I don't know where they are. The ones I know get less than $800 a month. I got just a little over $600, which will be less because Medicare starts next month when I turn 65. Did you know that SS went up the average of $16 in January? Did you know that Medicare went up $12 in January also. So the person on SS and Medicare got a raise of $4. That is the reality of Social Security. So if you are under 55..I suggest you find some way to get into a retirement fund to go with your Social Security. It isn't too late. And if you are one of the lucky ones who work for a company who helps you have a retirement plan, then count your blessings. A lot of companies who are trying to cut back, are looking at cutting their retirement plan.

No comments: