Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The Projects

Four years ago, I decided that being Kenny was gone with his friend for the day at a auction...I should do 2 of many projects we have talked about. One dealt with the kitchen and the other dealt with my "Some Day Soon Room" (some day soon we will go thru this junk and organize our good stuff).
So off to K-Mart, I go to gather my work objects. Shelves for the S.D.S. room and paint for the kitchen.
Now let me tell you about projects. #1 rule should be never ever do a project alone. Yes, I know there are the super duper gals on the home improvement channels who do everything... so you think. After all she, too, has people helping. Also how do you know the guys don't remove those nails and screws after off screen and put them where they really belong. And actually I do know a few gals who do an excellent job of remodeling their homes. Not just painting and the easy stuff either. One is my cousin, and the other is my neighbor. But I don't ask my neighbor, don't want to be embarrassed by my stupidity.
Why you say do you need a partner in crime? Well, for one thing you need that person to talk you out of doing the project, that you probably have no business doing. But if you have daffy friends like I do..... that doesn't work. So the next thing you need a partner for, is to have some one to blame it on when things go wrong. Or at the very least to share the blame. Blaming totally really cuts down on your list of friends quick. No sense of humor. The share blame ones are good.
See 25+ years ago I had one of the best of those. We were the Lucy/Ethel, if we felt old. Or Laverne and Shirely, if we felt young. Who was who depend on whose project it was. We used crooked nails that we spent hours straighten. Went to the hardware store to make sure we got Roslyn (the town we lived in that was built by miners) parts. See our town was known for its backwards plumbing, so you had to ask for Old Roslyn, if you lived in one of the older houses. Then she meet this guy who became her husband and he wouldn't let us straighten nails out. We had to use new ones. And we had a hard time breaking him in to Roslyn plumbing. So he married her and took her away to Seattle where I hear they have normal plumbing and straight nails.
So here I am 500+ miles away and 25+ years older. Sorry to say not any smarter.
See, I decided because this was a metal cabinet I should use spray paints. Ok, all of you people who know better and are saying STUPID... hit the delete button now. See I don't need to hear that from you all... I live with some one who says that to me. All the time. At least every time I do a project. Some times he says it politely and some times it comes out WHAT THE HELL EVER POSSESSED YOU TO DO THAT? And he mumbles a lot too.
Anyway, I put the newspapers on the floor and I shut newspapers in the top of the bottom doors. Decided to only do the bottom doors. (God does watch over dumb people) and I draped them back over the drawers to the top of the sink. Ok. Everything is covered.
Well.. I had handles. Some one told me if you take Crisco and smear it on chrome or glass then paint over it... it is easy to get the paint off as it comes off with the Crisco. I didn't have any ..so I figured bacon grease should do just as well. Did I hear you say STUPID? hit the delete button.. Told you I already have a guy who can say that.
Ok. I am ready to go. Shake the can. Shake shake shake, geesh, my wrist hurts, shake. Hit the button and and slowly it starts to cover, as I was told to go slow and stay back 18". I don't want runs. So back and forth I go. 2 cans and the seven doors are done. Got a paper I hold on the wall so I don't get that. Which went well until I got to the other side and forgot and flipped over the paper. Spot of paint on wall. Hurry and washed it off. Stood back to see if I missed any places. Oh, the side edges. Spray here... spray there. Beginning to have visions of when I use to cut my kids bangs. You know a little here and then there and then there and then here. But then I step back ...OH, MY GOD....there is light spray of paint all over the floor behind me. Spray back? What ever. Grab paper towels, 409, and hot water. Yes, it comes off. But it is all over. So I am mopping... and washing... pot lids on the baker shelf... Clean and clean... Some how I think it is going to be like pine needles in July. I will see light blue everywhere forever.
Then I go to the Some Day room while that dries. That job went really well. Put on Village People, In the Navy (Hey, I have my music which helps me clean and you have yours) and off I went taking all the boxes and every thing else. Put the shelves together. Snap together kind. Run to K-mart get see thru boxes and the fun begins. What do I need and what can I throw away. Luckily only 4 boxes were mine. Other 10 where Ken's HAHAHA.... And really it did come out very well. Except I have 2 bags and one box of papers to go thru to figure out what is still needed and burn the rest.
Went back to see the kitchen. UUUUGGGHHHH....... IT IS EASTER EGG BLUE..... OR A BAD 1970'S UTENSILS BLUE.... HORRIBLE. They said sky blue.... The more the evening went on and then the next day... I could not take it anymore. I went back to the store. Got regular enamel gloss paint. And a pad thing-a-ma-jig and painted it. Removed handles this time. By the way bacon grease does not do it. But it did hold down the mess a little. Guess you got to use the real stuff. Got waterfall blue. It is really nice. I have painted the drawers white with the same kind of paint. Did good. Now I am thinking maybe I will use one of those hobby kits to make a gingham pattern on the drawers.... who knows... But it has been a nice adventure... Heck I have not had this much fun since Roslyn... LOL LOL...

No comments: