Wednesday, November 02, 2005

83 Years...6 months...6 days....

Quite a lifetime.. and so much in it.
A childhood in Maine. That was so
packed full, I had no clue to that
part of his life. Until recently
in the past couple years when he
decided to write some passages of
that time.

I had only known the time I was
around him off and on over the years.
I remember as a child, he was so strict.
So strict that when my parents left my
brother and I in their care, he had us
Saying “yes, ma’am, yes, sir” “thank
you, ma’am and thank you sir”, "may
I please"by the time we return home
several days later. He and I laugh
about it over my adult years.

He was my hero, they came to visit,
our folks were gone somewhere.
And there was a large rat in our yard.
He picked up a pitch folk and threw it.
Like a spear, and killed that rat. I never
seen anything like it before, or since.

Over the years, he kept his own children
in line, and myself included. While some
of that was out of fear, fear of disappointing
him, a lot of it, out of respect.

He serve in the United States Navy, and
was so very proud of his time there. 26
years worth, if I recall right. Answered
to the name of Chief by his fellow shipmates.
Served on many ships over the years, served
in Vietnam. Taught on the base in San Diego.

This was a very proud man. He was definitely
Head of the house. (when his wife let him, lol)
He loved his wife more than the stars in the sky.
He had 5 children he was very proud of. And 7
grandchildren, and several great grandchildren.

Quite a legend in our time. We all have our
stories of our times with him. And now he
has left us. To be buried at sea. Just like
he requested. Our lives will have an empty
space to be filled by no other.

We will miss him so very much, each
in our own way. You see I was one of
the lucky ones that was gathered in to
the fold. He addressed his letter to me,
Oldest Daughter, which he wrote
just about every Tuesday to us all.
And I, the procrastinator, who wrote
too few. I will miss those letters, as
we talked about politics, the weather,
how the families were doing, and any
thing else. I don’t know what I will do
with the stamps, I save in the jar, to
send to him. As he was a stamp collector.

So good night sweet Prince, good
night Uncle Tiny, good night….
Dad
E.F. LINEKIN
1922-2005

5 comments:

stebbijo said...

Yes - that was really a nice post in a memorial sort of way.

Mari Meehan said...

Poignant, Cis. I'm sorry for your loss. But what a wonderful relationship you must have had and what a beautiful tribute to it.

God's Helper said...

Great memories, greater love. Now you know he is at peace with the Father.
Love
Me

Lil ol' me... said...

Cis, the warm memories will comfort you as time passes. You seem very well-adjusted. That comes from being brought up in a positive way. I think you are lucky.

Bay Views said...

That was awesome, Cis...