Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Well, I Have Blown It.

I have worked hard over the
past 3 years to lose weight.
I was afraid when I retired I
would get fatter yet, as I have
seen other aides do so.

I was already in trouble with
my breathing. So about the
time I took up blogging, I
decided to do something about
it. So I would walk around town.

Then in February of that year,
I decided to try walking down
to the old K-mart building and
back. Without stopping was my
goal. It took 4 months but I did it.

I had a partner in the beginning,
but she dropped out 3 months
later, by that time I was in the
swing of it. So headphones on,
and the beautiful view, I kept up
the walk. Got it down to 40 minutes.
It is 2.7 miles round trip. My breathing
was better, I had lost 18 pounds.

Then winter settle in with snow,
and while having good lungs was
good, a broken leg would not be.
So gave it up.

But the King and I got a treadmill,
for each other for Christmas. We did
great. We both walked on it every day.
Up to March. Then the weather was getting
nicer. So started walking about town
again. And treadmill on rainy days.

I gave up the long walk as the state
was tearing up all of the land near
the road. So just did the town and
garden work for the summer.

Gain 2 or 3 pounds as the summer
went on. Then trip to San Diego, in
Septemeber, eating out... 5 more
pounds.

And now Thanksgiving. And it is
forgive me Father, for I have sinned.
I ate, fried Chorizo and peppers.
I ate dressing and dark meat turkey.

Oh, if that was only the sin of food
that I partaken in. But no, I ate salted
walnuts, and the before snacks of
Thanksgiving day. And the extras.

Turnips, one of my favorites, I did well
with. If only I had stopped there. But the
pumpkin pie was calling, sliver pieces,
to go with my cheesecake with strawberries,

And turkey sandwiches, with latte's,
Oh, Father, I sin so much... you decided
to help me out... as I stepped on the
scale, I saw that you added 5 more pounds
to help me thru the winter...like as if I
am a Shetland pony.

So it was back to chicken and salad for
dinner. But then later in the evening, in
comes the Grandson, with a Michael
Special... he works for a local pizza
place. And before I could stop and think
a piece popped in to my mouth.

I have got to do something. I would
put on a pair of spandex to show myself
how bad it is. But I doubt I could even get
in one and I am scared someone
might think the Goodyear Blimp has
fallen out of the sky.

Yep, I HAVE BLOWN IT.
and along comes Christmas.
As the ghost of Christmas past
haunts me. You see the treadmill
is in our bedroom, with sheets over
it, so the cat can't get hair in it.

So make mine salad, please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my how I can relate! After much nagging from a previous doc I shed 25# on South Beach. Then the back went. And the bad carbs started creeping back in. And the exercise reduced to a snail's pace.

Now I've got another appointment with my current doc. Will it begin again??
lol

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. My doc has set me up for cholesterol testing but I thought I'd cut back on all the bad stuff before going....it's not working.