Monday, August 13, 2007

Memorabilia

Why do we collect things? Especially
things from history?

I have in my possession... a lot of
the magazines from different parts of
history. I have the death of John F. Kennedy,
and John F. Kennedy jr. Also Princess Diane.
Several Life and Look magazines that were in
the mid to end of 1960's ..a TV Guide special
edition...January 1964. A special book by
James Plaited Wood called The Life and
Words of John F. Kennedy. And do you
remember the album put out before Kennedy
was killed. By Vaughn Meander? Call the First
Family? I have it. The Collector's copy for $1
called Four Dark Days in History. I have it...
And then there are the George magazines that
JFKjr published.

As I go thru the area I am cleaning out, and
see all of these, I have to wonder.. why did I
collect these things and keep them. A sense
of history, yes. But why other than that? And
more importantly, what do I do with them now?

I know at the time I did not have money in my
thoughts. Meaning selling them when I got old.
I was 24 and 25 when some of these were purchased.

Was it a way to hang on to JFK, after our lost?
Was it search for the answers, of why? Was it fear
of the change of facts later in history, so we could
go back and see if it matches the publications of
then?

As I look thru the covers, and see the sadness, of
history, it still makes me sad.

I suppose someone would suggest Embaying the
mass of JFK memorabilia. First I don't know how
to do EBay. Yes, I have bought off of there, but only
the for sale things, and not the bidding war. I would
like to see someone who really cared about that time,
get them. I know my own kids could care less about
such things. Part of the collecting of the JFK, Jackie,
and JFK jr. collecting is, because I am from their area.
And the 6 steps (is that it?) from fame. Meaning my mother
shared the same blacksmith as Caroline's grandmother.
Mike use to shoe Caroline's pony. And we lived 6 miles
from her grandmother's house, in Newport, OR.I.

So do you have history memorabilia? Why did you
decide to keep it? And what do you plan on doing with
it?

on the personal note... we are taking a vacation
so to speak. Going to a family reunion, and visiting
friends and family on the way as we circle around
thru Washington state. So if you are bored and want
to drift thru the early post of 2005 and 2006, go for it.
Some of it is funny stuff... especially before I got
serious? well, as serious as I get anyway. loll..
See you next week some time in the middle.

No comments: