Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"Over the River and through the woods

"Over the River and through the
woods to Grandmother's house
we go", says the song.

As we approach this Thanksgiving,
we think of Thanksgiving past.
My brother and I had lost most
of our grandparents very early. With
only one left and he lived in Florida.
So off to grandma's house was not
an option.

But we did have family friends
who came each year and a few
others over the years that were
in and out.

My children as well, had lost
some grandparents and the
others lived far away. Although
we did live near them for 3 of
the Thanksgiving dinners. Which
my children were at the KIDS table.
Something that we had not done in
the past, so their noses were out of
kink.

But I wish we did live years ago,
where going to grandma's house
by sleigh would have been a great
adventure. It sure is romanticized in
stories. And I don't doubt that many
of them were wonderful.

Tomorrow, I will do a dinner menu
of today and the past.

But for today, do you have memories
of going to grandparent's homes for
the wonderful smell of food and the
sound of laughter?

No comments: