Friday, December 07, 2007

DAY in INFAMY

It was 1957 and I was in high school, my
senior year...It was my history class. And
I am sure we had been taught about the
subject many times thru the years. But today,
seem different.

Miss Riley,our teacher, all 5'1 of her, is walking
back and forth across the head of the
class... with a copy of a book in her hand. (I
can close my eyes and see her now, 50 years later).

Today...16 years ago... was a Day of Infamy'
telling about the speech that Franklin D. Roosevelt
gave.

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date that will
live in infamy...the United States of American
was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval
and air forces of the Empire of Japan. "

It started the first time I really listened.
Her presentation of it, the book we were about
to read about that famous day of 16 years ago.
(at that time..66 now)

I read the book, and started my interest and
wonderment of the government. I am sure
Miss Riley, did not expect my take on it.

As the book told about how they postpone
the news of the Japanese ships approaching
Pearl Harbor, how they had broke the code,
but didn't want Japan to know, they knew the
code.

How the Secretary of State played golf so
he could not be reached to go to the office
to meet with the Japanese officials until that
afternoon. So they could shame the Japanese
officials about attacking with out notice. And
we went to war... with all the citizens, who
were against involvement of the United States
in the war going on overseas, suddenly running
to join up to fight the Japanese.

We wanted in the war that bad, wait a minute..
we didn't, the government did. What heady
stuff for a 16 year old to read.

A Day in Infamy, in deed... a moment of
silence for all those who died that day...and
since.

No comments: