Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Moving your stuff...computer style

As you have read in the past
week and half, I have gotten
a new computer. Which is nice.
Kind of.

I had saved a couple months
ago, some of my stuff. Because
I was having so much trouble with
my old computer. And was afraid
it would crash one last time and
everything would be lost.

So there I was trying to get the
past 2 months of stuff out of the
old and into the new. Which would
have been a heck of a lot better or
easier had my cd writer been working.
But that decided to give me faults
hopes by looking like it was working
only to be shot down, telling me that
the cd had fail.

So one by one, I sent each thing
to myself from the old computer.
Quickly turning off the internet
on the old computer. Then
going on line with the new computer.
and receive it. It was a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w
process as I have dial up. And about
half of what I had left was pictures,
which took a lot of time to download.

One night I loaded everything up,
left the computer online while I
went to bed and slept. Only to
have the whole thing back load
on to the old computer and
have it freeze in the middle of
it. So that started the doing it
10 emails at a time and disconnect.

And praying it sent before it
froze, and cussing when it froze.

It was like moving from one house,
box by box. Taking 10 boxes, and
leave them at the new house. Then
go back and get 10 more, and leaving
them at the new house. Then after it
is all over... Going thru the boxes and
putting the stuff away in folders...one
box at a time. The worse being the
pictures. Although some of the documents
were no picnic, until it dawned on me
if I did them as attachments it went
better.

As I took each thing out of the old
computer, and deleted that area, the
computer acted a little bit better and
froze up less. But as I got 99% of the
good stuff out, the computer finally
refuse to open up again. This is
something I don't want to go thru
again. And I could tell you, that I
have a plan to copy to cd each month
what I have new in it. But I know it
will be like the papers I have said
I would file as I went along in my
file cabinet. I have a stack 2 feet
tall on my desk to be filed. Best
laid plans of mice and men.

Gosh, I hate moving and packing.
I am glad this one is over. Now for
the unpacking. Putting pictures
in folders and then download them
to a cd. And that I will do on a regular
basis.

No comments: