Wednesday, July 02, 2008

When did the casual look start?

I was watching Matlock yesterday during the
heat wave. I always get a kick out of it.
The stories are the usual and Andy is
still good to watch. But those 70'/80's
women's hairdos are a hoot. And even
some of the men.

But as I was sitting there, I watched the
gal Friday for Andy, walk into an office with
the idea to get some information. I don't
remember much about what she was doing,
as I was looking at what she was wearing.

Now we have a local lady who is loved by all.
Her name is Mary Faux. And if you are local
to our area, you know what Mary is famous for.
But my point, I know there are a few who still
dress like this. But they are far and few between.

What did this lady have on, that drew my attention?
First, she had a hat on her head. No, not a baseball
hat. Not a western hat. But a bon-fide small hat.
You know a classy hat. (by the way, that is what
Mary is famous for...her many hats.. classy hats).
The other thing this woman had on was ....gloves.
Short to the wrist gloves.

Now ladies, do you remember when we went some
where, and you dressed up? Church, teas, grandparents
houses some times... And you wore a hat and gloves.
It went with the dress you wore, as you always wore
a dress, unless you were doing yard work or farm work.

These gloves came in two sizes usually. The short
to the wrist gloves and the to the elbow gloves. You
saw it in the old 1940's and 50's movies. And if you
wore the elbow glove, you must have had a gown on.
And you held the right glove in your left gloved hand
a lot of the time. As you shook hands with the bare
hand.

I forgot all about these, in these days of casual wear.
Women don't wear dresses very often any more. And if
they did and were under the age of 35, would they
wear gloves? I haven't see any woman wear gloves
in what, 20 or more years.

Funny how something that was so important at the
time.. after all no woman of class would ever think
about leaving home without her gloves. And a
handkerchief in her purse. And no woman would
ever walk in to a church without a hat.
You were taught that at the age of 4....

2 comments:

Lil ol' me... said...

Hi, Cis...I haven't worn a suit in years. To me a suit feels like a strait-jacket. I'm definitely a jeans person. But yeah, sometimes the 'casual' look, especially when it isn't quite casual, is just weird. For instance, I saw a recent pic of Paul McCartney (ex-Beatle), wearing a suit coat, white shirt w/out a tie, blue jeans and WHITE tennis shoes. I'm sorry, but the mixture of different kinds of clothing like that is just AWFUL.

MarmiteToasty said...

Hunting me wardrobe for suitable attire..... making mental note to hobble down the shops tomorrow (yeah right) in a summer dress, gardening gloves(cos thats all I could find) and ankle socks with some Jebus sandals ;)

x