Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fingers

There are 4 fingers on most people’s hands…
Yes there is the thumb too.. but that is different.

There is the first finger…. The pointer finger…

Then there is the second finger….it is finger salute finger
Not nice..but a salute to let some one know, they are number
One.

Then there is the 3rd finger… Now I never paid much
attention to the 3rd finger.. it usually is thought to be the
ring finger… and is the case for most. But other than holding
the ring, I never gave it much thought.

UNTIL last Friday.  At the hour of 1pm.. just a mere two hours
before I was to leave for a weekend trip.. A DAMN YELLOW
JACKET… decided to make my life miserable.  It stung me
on my 3rd finger.  I immediately removed my ring…
This also happens to be my right hand… and I am right handed.

I grabbed the tobacco stub that my son left in my firepit. Spit on it and put it on my finger tip where miserable yellow jacket stung me.  Being I had one sting m e just a mere 7 days before on my arm I was prepared… The good old stand by.. tobacco and spit. It worked on my arm… took the sting out and just left me with a itchy arm for 3 wonderful (NOT) days.. but at least no pain.

Well, I don’t know what this yellow jacket had to eat that day, but not only did my finger swell up, but the second one was looking like it was going to join it. Got my rings off fast…

We left an hour later, and my finger is not getting better. And now my hand is itchy  I put on cortisone 10 to get rid of the itch…
By night fall the back of the hand was swollen up….
Looking like a bad boxer’s fist.  I  had already tried ever home remedy…
copper penny.. did not work.
Vinegar and baking soda… did not work.    
My sister in law had gave me some Benedril and pour some stuff on it.. It helped a little and the pill made me sleepy…

I woke up the next morning…with not only a hellachious (is that a word?) swollen hand, and two fingers.. but it also was so tight, it formed a blood blister on the side of the finger.  And a start of another in the crease of the joint.  NOT GOOD. 
So off to a clinic.. immediate care type one. Very nice young lady gave me a prescription for two types of pills and gave pacific directions… Also mention that in their area.. Tri-cities, there has been a few yellow jackets and hornets that are carrying MERSA with their venom…  NOT GOOD…  mine did not.. thankfully.

So here we are 3 days later… the swelling is down… on my hand and 2nd finger…and mostly down on my 3rd finger… but still have the blood blister, trying to shrink… but at least I can sleep without help.

I also figured out that the 3rd finger has several important jobs.. like the rest area for holding a coffee cup while the others fingers hold it. And typing… a stiff finger doesn’t not type well… also do you know that the pen lays across the 3rd finger and you just thought the thumb and first two fingers did all the work.. And then gripping a medicine bottle to open it… not good.. painful actually…
I found out, because I could do none of these.. or at least with great difficulties.

But it is days like this.. that a shot of something to drink… seems in order.
At least a glass of wine.. but not with these pills.

So watch out …..out there… oh, by the way, I did not do anything to this darn miserable bug to deserve this.. it just landed on my finger and before I could react… it stung me… and went on his way.

Be very careful out there… they also are putting their nest in the ground.

And the King found out from a friend, a remedy for these little sweet hearts. A quarter cup of raw hamburger… same size tuna fish… and 2 Frontline, or an equal product… drops that you put on the back of your large dogs neck…
Mix well… place where no animal can get it…. Supposedly the yellow jackets/ hornet will eat it.. take it back to their nest and it will kill all of them..

Myself.. seeing is believing..  we are going to try it tomorrow.. as my traps are filling up fast… and there is still plenty out there.  







1 comment:

Mari Meehan said...

What timing! Mike came in yesterday with one very swollen finger, cursing up a string of seldom used words. A yellow jacket had nailed the tip of his finger too!