Sunday, May 13, 2018

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY....


HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY…

Normally I post the poem, I am the meanest mother.. I always like it.. I saw it first in the 1980 and thought maybe that is what my kids though of me..  

But this year is different…  Because if you are reading this in the morning …  then as you read this.. my #3 son is giving a sermon in his church… and this is what he gave me of his speech…  it brought tears to my eyes..  tears of joy… and amazement..and it is humbling to me… Not only was he listening when he was young.. and remembered,  but he also remember the reason why… so here you go.. I hope you like it..

What is a mother?

A.  What’s your handle?
a.   A handle is a self-describing metaphor. A word that describes you. in the olden days they used them on CB’s 
b.   What’s a CB? Citizens band radio- used to communicate in cars and houses
c.    My Dads CB handle was the welder, he was a mechanic and welder
                                                            i.      I remember Mom often calling him on the radio “how about it welder you got your ears on”
                                                         ii.      Well my mom’s handle was “Wildcat” and that’s all I got to say about that.
1.   If you wanted to test this tell a lie or tell her no. not good.
d.   Who are we , what’s your handle
                                                            i.      1peter2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. – We are Christians.

B.   Self-control is very important
a.   When I was a young boy as far back as I can remember. Every time we went to the store I heard the same thing coming from my mom. It was our code; we remember it to this day.
b.   In Exodus we learn Thou shalt not steal
                                                            i.      We all know you got to touch to steal
                                                         ii.      So my Mom being practical Would rehearse this with us before leaving the car
c.    Look with your eyes and not with your hands 
                                                            i.      It’s not only about not stealing but not touching what is not yours in respect of others
d.   Self-control is very important
                                                            i.      Proverbs 25:28 A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.
C.   There are consequences in life
a.   If we grow up in life without suffering consequences we will be stunted as individuals
                                                            i.      Maturity takes suffering, we don’t let go of our self-righteousness easily
                                                         ii.      As a young man sometimes my mouth would get the best of me and be an offense to others, my Mom was to the point and practical as usual. It was a warning that you took seriously or else…
1.   She would look us straight in the eye with that Clint Eastwood stare and say “Your cruising for a bruising” or “Do you want a knuckle sandwich “  –and  this was no joke
b.   Does God hold us accountable?
                                                            i.      Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
                                                         ii.      John 3:36 whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
D.  Don t worry
a.   If you’re like most kids you have a few concerns growing up, you have questions
                                                            i.      Where are we going?
                                                         ii.      When will we get there?
                                                      iii.      Are we there yet?
                                                       iv.      What’s for dinner?
b.   One of Moms answers was short and to the point        
                                                            i.       “Food”
                                                         ii.      “You’ll get what I “
c.    The reality is Mom never lets you go without and the world does not revolve around you
                                                            i.      Matthew 6:25 25“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
                                                         ii.      Matthew 6:31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
E.   Show affection
a.   In life you sometimes get down or feel isolated
                                                            i.      Divide and conquer is a common theme in warfare
                                                         ii.      Sometimes our sin separates us from family
                                                      iii.      When you’ve messed up and broken the rules you feel some distance in your heart
b.   It is important to have relationship that accept one another as people
                                                            i.      My mom would  always hug tightly and tell me she loved me
                                                         ii.      Sometimes for no reason at all
1.   I had this tendency to mess up and be a problem
2.   I always knew my Mom cared for me
c.    Show love
                                                            i.      Romans 5:8 But God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
1.   This is not earned it is in our refusal to listen to Him
                                                         ii.      1John  3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
1.   Our affection is part of family, part of being a son or daughter.
F.    Gaining approval
a.   Hard is different for each of us
                                                            i.      Does anyone struggle with grades?
                                                         ii.      Do you have a subject of learning that just doesn’t click?
                                                      iii.      Everyone has thigs that are easy and hard for them
1.   Some people are faster than others,
2.   Stronger
3.   Our intellect is given by God
4.   Some struggle with history some struggle with math
b.   Life has adversity
                                                            i.      When we fail we feel rejected-
1.   like we are not good enough
                                                         ii.      it can be overwhelming
                                                      iii.      we may emotionally suffer
                                                       iv.      If we can’t win then we shouldn’t fight
                                                          v.      when I was young and struggling with grades and homework
1.   often I would spend my evenings doing work while everyone else was done and gone
a.   I just wasn’t getting it. My grades were suffering
c.    Mom would say it doesn’t matter what your grade is as long as you do your best
                                                            i.      If I put out the effort and really tried I was ok
1.   I’m not a failure , I am ok , I’m acceptable
2.   Instead of a performance based relationship it’s character based
                                                         ii.      Slacking off and just making the grade is apathy
                                                      iii.      Putting out your personal best is what it is all about.

d.   Our effort is a matter of character
                                                            i.      Delight,
                                                         ii.      appetite,
                                                      iii.      value,
                                                       iv.      esteem
                                                          v.      love

e.   We rest in God’s love and are free to act
                                                            i.      1 Corinthians 9: 19For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people,  that by all means I might save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings
                                                         ii.      Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

G.  The foundation
a.   When I was growing up there was this ideal of Truth , an ah over the book we know as the bible
                                                            i.      It was commonly esteemed as the word of God.
                                                         ii.      This truth underscored any conversation about religious things.
                                                      iii.      While our application of the word is not ideal; many times it amazes me the influence it has on all our lives
b.   The word of God is
                                                            i.      Psalm 119:105 your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
                                                         ii.      James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
                                                      iii.      Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
H.  Conclusion
Motherhood is a powerful thing, shaping the lives and hearts of future generations. The legacy of a Mother is unmeasurable; you will never know how great it is. Things you do without thinking are impacting future generations in beautiful ways. I am a product of my Mother who loved me protected me and is al..ways there for me –I Love you Mom err Wildcat…..


Maybe I was the meanest mother.. lol… Love you son.. and love each and every one of my kids..










No comments: