Monday, July 25, 2005

Fun and Games in Roslyn

Fun things we did in Roslyn.

The adult type playground was playing
pool or baseball for the different bars
in Roslyn. I played for Gil and Peggy of
AJ'S which was just down the street.
Others were King's Tavern, the Brick
and Old #3 from Ronald. They had
men's teams and women teams.
Playing baseballs was the most fun,
as we could bring our kids. Even
tho, we weren't great.
We had fun and so did the kids.

The other thing was snowmobiling.
Everyone one had one. Most of them old.
I had one that was a small one called a Polaris.
I love/hated that thing. It would take up to
20 pulls to get that thing going. I had printed
ILLEGITIMATE NON CARBORDUM on
the dash of it. When it ran.... it was a sweet
machine. Fast, and powerful. Powerful
enough to pull my friend's fancy machine
out of a hole he fell in. BUT when it died...
it died. So it was pull, and pull and pull.....

One time a girlfriend of mine needed a Christmas
tree for her family. So another friend of mine
and I rode the machine out to the trees and
found a dandy. We tied it up on the end and
towed it down to the road. Which it promptly
died. But at least it was on the road. So my
friend went to get his truck and tow me home.
He told me, now when you get near the back of
your place, I will gun it and you steer towards
your place and it will go in. Great plan. and it
worked. Except for the fact the rope was not
quite long enough. So up over the bank it went
into the yard.... and almost as quickly it jerked
back towards his truck, dumping me off in the
snow bank. We took the tree over to my girlfriend.
Do you know trees look smaller out in the woods.
Because we had to cut off 3 feet to get it in her
house. You should have seen those kids when
they got up the next morning and came down
the stairs. It was the biggest tree ever. Big tall,
big around. lol.

We used the snowmobiles for going to the bars
to dance from Roslyn to Ronald.
We would travel up to Ronald's Old #3 Tavern...
it was crazy as we would use the railroad track
and some times we would be up to almost 100 mph.
Where our brains were, I don't know. And that
was sober!!.

My husband has gotten out of the
Vets hospital one year, after being there for
almost 3 months. He had a heart by-pass.
When we got him home, he wanted to go
snowmobiling. But the trouble with that was,
it was under 3 feet of snow. So the kids and
I dug for hours until we got the hole big enough.
First we had to find it. Then we had to get it all
dug out. And then dig and stomp a ramp for him
to run it up to get to the top. Snow in Roslyn got
to 3 to 5 feet. I had pictures of an antenna that
was the only thing showing on a Falcon we owned.
And the 2 ton International dump truck we own,
only had the top of the cab and the bed showing.
But believe it or not... the winters were wonderful
there.

Funny things in Roslyn...
The kids could play all day long. But one day
the neighbor kids and they were playing up on
the slag pile... and the youngest one comes
down crying... the bigger kids sent her home.
So when I went up there to find out what was
going on and why...... I found all the kids passing
a cigrette around. (the oldest being 10 ...out of
10 kids). Well they were all in hot water between
us two mothers. But the funny part, was when
talking about it with the youngest one they sent
home. They said they sent her home because
they were afraid she would squeal. And she told
them, if you let me smoke, I wouldn't have... lol..

The neighbor kids mom was my best friend.
And we seem to get into our own little troubles.
We were Laverne and Shirley or Lucy and Ethel,
depending on how old we felt.
She was a single mom, so we would have
projects. We build her a bookcase that we
screwed together. Both of us had a hole in our
palms because that was the toughest wood we
ever saw. We took turns at it... I think it took us
4 hours to build that thing.
We were building a cupboard shelf in the
back room. We had gotten a lot of nails from
an old building that was falling down. We sat
on her porch for at least 8 hours pounding
those babies straight so we could use them.
Then there was the time we went to see a
gentleman friend of hers, who lived up on the
hill in Cle Elum. It was winter. We had CB's
then. We ended up getting stuck on the side
of the road, as it was icy and I figured if I got
over where the snow was, we could get going.
Nope, stuck. So I called home on the CB
and my husband's friend answered
it. So we told him where we were and to call my
girlfriend's friend. Well, I guess he did. But ... he
called the number and told the man who was on
the other end... "Wildcat (which was my cb handle)
is in your driveway.". Well the man on the other end say...WHAT? ... being it was obivous he had the
wrong number he hung up. But forgot to
explain to the old man who had answered the
phone. So some where was some poor soul
who thought he had a wildcat in his driveway.

We were pretty handy, we even changed her
water pump for her in her car. My husband
was gone hunting, and I said, oh, I have watch
that done many times.... so we can do it. We got
it done, but I found all those cuss words that
guys use when working on their cars, really do
help when the work gets bad.

Seem if we put our minds to it... we could
just about fix anything together. What one
didn't know the other did. Then she met this
guy. Who was worried about her with all these
warp things of Roslyn plumbing and straighten
out nails to work with, and married her and
took her away to Seattle.

Tomorrow the final story about Roslyn.

No comments: