Thursday, July 28, 2005

I am a Flatlander

Little girls today, know how to walk
in high heels. They have those cute little
silver high heels and crown so they can
play Princess...So by the time they are
teens they are pro's. And when they go
to work in an office, the heels are second
nature to them.

In my day, we didn't have those. Heck,
in the summer we didn't have shoes..
That is why so many of us have wide
feet. I didn't even get to see high heels
on my feet until I was 16. I had a job
and bought a pair of black high heels.
3 inch heel. Everyone, well, women,
anyway, had high heels that were
3 inches heels.

Today, reminded me of that day that
I put those black heels on. See, I
bought from Avon a pair of brown
heels. They have elastic bands that
go across your foot (3 of them) and
one that goes across the back of the heel.
They look like a sandal. But has about a
2 inch heel. I decided today to put them
on and work around in the house so I
could get use to them. I placed them on
my feet. I stood up. All was well, until I
took a step. Just like almost 50 years
ago, the ankles were wobbly. I even
wondered did I really want to do this.
But after about 10 steps I had the hang
of it again. Kind of like riding a bike.

I walked around the house, doing the
house work in heels. Now you got to
understand I haven't wore heels for over
20 years, maybe 30. Western boots,
but those don't count. But not heels.
I really don't know why women torture
themselves. I figured I am going to get
use to these things one way or another.
But after 2 hours, I had enough. Went
barefooted the rest of the afternoon until
I went outside, and put on my leather
sandals. AHHHHHHHHH... comfort..
Maybe I'll give them to my daughter.
Because, I am truly a flat lander...

No comments: