Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Long Trips

Over the years of my life I
have traveled by car long
distances.

From California to Washington
and back...during a sickness
that ended up in death.

From Washington to Minnesota
and back for the same reason..

From Washington to R.I.
and back. To live and return
to Idaho.

From Idaho to San Diego, Ca.
and back for a visit. And once
to bring back a motorhome.

Two the biggest states that I
traveled thru during these trips
was California from top to bottom
and Montana, from side to side.

Both of these are a days travel, if
you drive right thru. Have started
at St. Regis, Montana and driving
in to Miles City as the sun was
setting. I know they say that Texas
is big, but these two states have to
be longer.

The difference in the two states and
why I think Montana seems longer, is
the population. As you drive from end to
end of California, you are driving thru a
town. One after the other. Some big but
most of the small. At least the more North
you get, the more you have small towns.
So you have change of scenery.

Montana, has a few towns scattered from
here to there... but it seems like 50% of it
(I think more) is fields and fences. Not even
homes in a lot of areas. Or you see a dot
on the horizon, being the farm or ranch.

And if you go in the summer, it is yellow
fields of wheat or oats.. hay fields.. miles
and miles and miles and miles of it. And
a spot or two there is wildlife.

Which makes me wonder. And I haven't
been across Montana in about 20 years.
How much has the areas changed. Is there
getting to be more towns?

I sure hope they get to keep their miles
and miles of fields, as it is getting to be
a rarity these days in the good old USA.

No comments: