Monday, July 02, 2007

And they called the Wind Maria

I am sure the talk for the next couple
of weeks will be "where were you during
the wind storm".

It was like the Columbus Day storm of
the 1990's. That ran across thru the Vay
area, across the cemetery, across the
river and into Dover. Taking down trees
and ripping roofs as fast as it went thru.

I had read a minute by minute report on
HBO and then I closed down the computer.
Went outside, saw the dark clouds. grab
the camera. Now as I read HBO, I understood
a wind storm that knocked down trees and also
hail. We have had before, so wasn't too
worried.

I took the pictures you see on my Saturday
post, and then put the camera away and told
the King. Within 5 minutes the wind was here.
A box flew pass my face. The King was bar-b-qing
meat. He grab the meat off the the grill and shut
it off. Took it in the house. Stuff was flying
every where.

Two weeks ago we put up a temp. garage to
start cleaning out the wood garage. The tarp
started to blow. And then one end whipped loose.
Then the other corner... it made the wood garage
next to it look like a boat with a sail.

Our patio tent was blowing up and down, and
in and out. I ran over and unzipped the netting
and let the wind blow thru. That seem to save the
tent part.

The tarp by this time is blown loose in the
middle, and it is blowing straight up in the
air on one side. The King and I were finally
able to find an end each and grab it... undid
some of the bungees on one side. And
bungee the whole tarp to one leg of the tem
garage.

As we were doing this, the wind was whipping
us around, I could see brown dust every where
and little pieces of stuff flying, kind of like the
Wizard of Oz. And my thoughts as I am hanging
on to tarp?????

Why don't I have my camera so I can take
pictures for my blog....lol...

The rains came, and the wind left. We were all
wet, and looked around and the tarp was the
worse of the damage. No electricity..

We drove around the two towns to see the
damage. Some was worse than others. Later
we heard how bad it was in Sagle, and also
that Bonner's Ferry got the worse of it. For
many electricity didn't come on for over 30
hours. We were lucky, we had it back in 14
hours, at 7am.

But we did well thru the night. We got a
generator started. Plugged in the freezers,
and turn on a light and played cards.
Until 11 and went to bed, knowing
everything was ok.

No comments: