Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Whom Would You Pick???

I was reading my AARP magazine the
other day. One of the articles was about
how women who are sharing housing.

First of all I found it interesting that there
aren't any men type house sharing. Or maybe
they just wanted to talk about the women.

These women have become widows, divorcee,
or other similar types of sudden singleness.
They do it mostly for the financial side of it.
But also for companionship. They mostly
don't want to give up their independence.

After I got finish reading the article, and
was doing some chores, I got to thinking.
Would I do that if I were in their position,
and if I did, who would I share with?

After all, this is different than the days
when you were in college and had a
roommate. Or shared an apt. when you
were young. These women are in their
50's, 60's, and 70's. Very active women.
But also set in their ways. At least I would
be. And that is where the rub comes in.

I could not think of one friend that I have, that
I would share a house with. Don't get me wrong,
I love my friends. They are the greatest. I would
do anything for these friends. Just not live with
them. To quote Seinfeld show... "it isn't you,
it is me".

I have friends who are neatniks. I am not a slob.
But I am relaxed about housekeeping. My house
is not a house, but a home. I have friends who are
wonderful, but I think if I lived with them, we would
get on each others nerves.

I really could not think of one of them that I
would share a house with on the long term.
Can you? Think about it hard. Do they go to
bed the same time as you? Do they love TV
on all the time, or do they like music and read.
Do they like lots of lights on? Do they keep the
shades closed all the time? I have to have sun
light.

So now,... can you? Can you really think of some
one you would share a house with for years and
years, that is NOT your spouse? Or would want to?

3 comments:

Betty said...

I read that article, too, and I agree with you. I don't have a single friend that I would want to share a house with. The closest I would come is sharing a duplex. That would probably be ok, I think. You would have each others' company when you wanted it, but still have your own "space".

Mari Meehan said...

No.

PinkAcorn said...

Egads, I can barely stand living with myself at times, ha1