Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Some Crossroads of Life

St. George's Church, Newport, R.I.

I was raised in an Episcopalian church.
We referred to it as a low class Catholic.
As we stood, we got on our knees, and
then sat and then up and down.and sang
our hearts out, just as the Catholics did.
But we didn't have all the fancy pageant of
Christmas mass, nuns, confessions and
etc. Our particular church was low keyed.

It was an old church, well over 100 years old or so,
made of wood and stone. St. George's
Church on Rhode Island Avenue in Newport,
Rhode Island. That was my first membership.

I had a ribbon for never missing a Sunday for
a year, in 1945. I was baptized there, I was confirmed
there in 1954. By Bishop Bennett and Rev. Mercer.
I still have my little black book of Common Prayer
that was given me.

Which was quite amazing considering my Mother
only went there 3 times. To get married, for my
baptism and to my confirmation. My Father went on
holidays, Easter and Christmas.

Then I moved away. From 1957 to 1979 I did not join
any church. I visited several. In Miami Beach, I found
the people to be more concern about who showed and
didn't and what they were wearing. And how much you
were going to donate. Same in San Diego, when I went a couple times with
my aunt. And then in Roslyn, Washington.

Then I went
back to R.I. and found another church, with Pastor
Parker. My daughter went with her girlfriend. I found it
to be a caring church and so I joined after a year. This
church too, was made of wood. A large white church,
which is common among New England Churches.

United Methodist Church, Portsmouth, R.I.


Once again, I did not join another church when we came
back West. So from 1982 to 1998, no church. My feeling
as I told those who question, is that I feel God just as
much among his trees, sky, and grass, lakes, and oceans,
and didn't need a building.

Then we bought a house in Kootenai.
And in Kootenai was the Community Church. A church of old.
One that looked like my childhood churches. After my
grandson attended a few vacation bible schools, the King and I
join the church. And we were quite happy as it was a
small church. A church of old. And a group of 30 to
70 depending on the Sunday. And Pastor Osman had
interesting sermons. He preached the bible of the bible.

Kootenai Community Church, Kootenai, Idaho

Then more people came and so we outgrew our church of
old. We switched to the school gym, while we built a
new church. A building that is metal. Not really what
I like, but I kept telling myself, that the church is the
people not the building. That was 7 years ago. And
our church still isn't anywhere near being done. And
we have had to leave the school as Kootenai school is
getting its remodel, that has been promised for years.

So we move to an office building. Of which I feel off
kilter. The sound system was lacking, the lights didn't
work that day, a spot showed up during the service,
from the rain water leak. It was like God was saying,
"don't get comfortable here". But I promised I would
trying it, at least once, and maybe three times.

But this past Sunday, my second visit... we were informed
that they are selling the church of old. A church that will
turn 100 next year. This was a shot to the chest. And a
few tears came. To sell the church of old. I know, I know
the church is the people, and it should not make a difference.

But at my age, I guess it does make a difference. See the
church of old is what called me to its service. It was the
Pastor who kept us coming back. So here I sit at a
cross road or a Y in the road. How much will the church
make a difference, the one of old? For I miss the stain glass
windows and the bell to ring us to service.

I guess I will find out Sunday.

update... in my research to find a picture of St. George's Church,

I found out it had been sold for $1,550,000. But at least it was

for another place of worship. This church was well over 100 years

old.

2 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Your little churches are so different to what churches are over here...... our village church is made of flint and is now almost 130 years old.... I was married in it and me lads all christened there (I know I know... I dont do god - but I was edging me bets lol)...

I LOVED the little churches I saw whilst in doodleland.... and loved those I saw whilst in RI.....

I should move to Portsmouth RI cos I was born in Portsmouth here on the south coast of England :).... it would be a fitting end to me life...

In our Portsmouth daily paper called The News... there is a column once a week that is written by a bloke in Portsmouth RI, now aint that funny.... just telling of the different ways of life there compared to here in our Portsmouth....

praise the lord ;)

x

Linda said...

Well, what can I say. The journey that involves church is not easy, and often it's painful. I don't think worship should be that hard. I finally gave up the battle and said "not anymore."