Thursday, October 15, 2009

NEIGHBOR WATCH or NEIGHBOR SPIES?

Neighbor Watch or Neighbor Spies?

In the 1940 and 50's when I was being raised, we had neighbors
that watched out for each other... even in the 20 and 30's, maybe before... if your neighbor had a problem, you tried to help.

Women, whose husband's and son's, who went to war, were
watched over by the neighbors, helping where they could.

It wasn't until the late 40's and 50's that the public
found out how this kind of thing was turned against
the neighborhood, with neighbors spying on each
other. Mainly against Jews in Germany or other
countries. Written in books like Anne Frank.
As Americans, we were horrified at such a
community thing.

In the 70s and 80's neighborhood watch came
into play due to home crimes. Burglaries, and
vandalism. You called the police if you saw any
thing suspicious in your neighborhood. Drug houses,
people around your neighbors house that you didn't
recognize. Maybe you just took down the license
plate number, just in case something happen.

Now in the days of the 2009, they are asking
for neighborhood watch be beefed up. Become
even more observant. But how much, and what is to be
reported? With these days of camera, and
especially phone camera's... will my
neighbor be taking pictures of me using what
they think is too much water on my lawn?
Will I be reported because my street has a
15mph limit and I am doing 20?
Will my every move be Twittered to the police?

Personally I have a great neighborhood. We pretty
much live and let live policy, and if needed the other
is there. We do have one guy who is quick on the
phone reporting the dumbest things. And we are
use to him and I am sure the red face police who
have had to check out his reports of underage drinking,
to find a 4 years olds birthday party, are on to him
as well. But, it does give you something to think
about, as they ask for a beefed up Neighborhood
Watch.

No comments: