Tuesday, October 13, 2009

WHAT IS THIS PLANT???

We cut down our tree, which was one of the fir type...
and then this appeared. It grew up to about 4 feet.
We thought it was a sunflower when it started to come
up, as we have feeders in the yard and sunflowers are part
of the feed. And it looked like one.

I touched the leaves one day when I saw it wasn't the
usual like buds for the sunflowers. And the leaves were
velvet in touch. Very soft.

I kept watching the buds to see what kind of flowers were
going to come out of this. But none ever came. Those little
bud looking things, had yellow in there, but it never open.

So last week, I dug it up and threw it in the garbage. Why?
Because with my luck it is probably the worse weed, that would
promote millions on my lawn. So I chicken out and dug it up.
The interesting thing of this is, not only the soft velvet leaves, but
there is no other one like it on my property, nor neither of my
nieghbors. (is that correct word usagage, Marianne?)

So do you know what it is? I sure like to know.












Name this plant

4 comments:

NILove said...

Looks like a hollyhock to me. Don't throw it away. They're pretty. Grow to about 12 feet tall and have beautiful blossoms.

The seed pods are what make me think it's a hollyhock. And, I do have seeds from my dark burgundy hollyhocks if you want to start some next year.

Word Tosser said...

nope NILove, it isn't a hollyhock, the leaves are like velvet... my hollyhock leaves are fuzzy.

And YES, I would love some of your dark burgundy hoolhocks. Mine is yellow...

fortboise said...

Those aren't buds, they're fruits. You missed the flowers.

If you get in closer on one of the fruits, I might be able to identify it for you.

Word Tosser said...

FortBoise... the two middle pictures have a close up of the bud or what ever they are.. there are the ones that look like they have a spinwheel look to them. The bud is about the size of a dime or nickel.. and they stay closed.