Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Child Abuse in the Church

Let me clarify right here and now…
I.CAN. NOT. STAND. THE. PEOPLE. WHO.
ABUSE.CHILDREN.
It makes me nausea instantly. I can NOT even
watch a show about it, be it real or fiction.

But some of the things I wonder about are the numbers
and the Catholic church. Are Priest like police officers?
When there is a rotten apple in the ranks, that all are condemned?

I would like to know the actual percentage of how many Priests
were actually known as child abusers. No spin numbers… actual
proven cases? I know, there will only be the tip of the iceberg
cases. But it would be interesting to know.

Then I would like the numbers of the other religions. Can you
honestly tell me that there were no Jewish children abused by
Rabbi’s… by Baptist ministers, by any Protestant minister?
by 7th Day Adventist? Can you honestly say that? As I can’t
believe that to be true. Why is it only the Catholics you hear about?
And why do the Catholic members have to pay for the sins of their Priest?
And we have heard of other professions of trust, teachers, Boy Scout
leaders. But you don’t hear about the thousands or millions they
have to pay..

For many years, children sex abuse was a secret. It was rarely exposed
to the courts or the media. I was 23 at least before I heard of the first
man arrested for such an offense. And that girl recanted after 10 years.
She was mad because her father wouldn’t let her date a young man.
It was 3 years later before I heard of the next… and that was the real
deal.

There were parents who guarded their children from these people…be it
their friend or worse yet, a family member. There were divorces. Yet
rarely anyone was arrested. I knew of many of incidents of it, but it was
hushed up, and only talked about with in the adulthood group. Leaving a
lot of children thinking they were at fault of this horrible hushed up sin.
Or when someone shot the husband.

Even women who are now in their 60’s, 70’s and even 80’s have a hard time
speaking of this offense on children. Or get angry if asked and refuse to answer
the question. And the law had a hard time with it as well.
Lot of men or even women (as there were women sex offenders as well)
were let go, because the courts or police didn’t know how to handle it.
So why do the people think that a Cardinal or Bishop knew how or what to do about it.
Change the Priest area was what they did. Thinking this person repented and
needed a new start.

Again, I find this repulsive, but I think when there are discussions and disgusting,
it should look at the whole picture, instead of only beating the one area.
This is not a new subject, this is not a subject of 30,40, 50 years ago.
70 years ago, the King’s grandmother threw a Priest down the stairs and broke his arm
when she found out her son was abused. They say the law of averages is, there is at least one in every family….none of us want to think about that, and hope and pray you are
one of the few that don’t…
But this goes back even further….
This goes back to the days of the Romans Eunuch and who know how much more?

No comments: