Monday, April 26, 2010

You can't go home....

Over the weekend, Marianne Love put in her blog about a new song she likes called…
The House That Built Me
and a line in it was....."If I could just come in I swear I’ll leaveWon’t take nothing but a memoryFrom the house that built me"
Sung by Miranda Lambert.

It sure hit home to read those words...I use to live on Beacon Street in my
Hometown. And as an adult, when I visited there, and returned there for 4 years,
I would drive by the old house and wish.

I wish that I could go in the house, even with its remodel, and see how much of
it is like the house I grew up in. It was a basis New England Cape Cod house.

As you looked at the house there was a door in the middle with a window on
each side.

One bedroom down stairs to the right. Living room to the left, circling around
to the dining room and kitchen, entering the hall way going back round passing the bathroom
and passing the said bedroom, and back the front door.

With a back door off of the kitchen. Which had stairs to the basement. When you went in the
front door, you were facing stairs. Upstairs there was 2 bedrooms made from the original attic.

One on the left was my brother's with 2 small windows, one on each side of the chimney.
My bedroom was on the right, and I had a standard window. And that was my outlook on life...
The things I could see from there.

First was the old house with an 8-foot fence that surrounded the 5 or more acres. Woods we
loved to play in...We use to sneak in there, moving one of the posts. We would pretend
it was a jungle. There were two elderly ladies that we never saw, but we did see the groundskeeper.
Way too many times, as we ran and escaped thru the fence.

Then in my early teen years, it was all taken apart. A grocery store and parking lot, then a Cadillac
dealership next to that went in.

Winter would bring ice on the parking lot or snow. And of course the teens who did donuts, and skidding
across the parking lot.

With the driveway next to my side of the house, it also served as a lookout, when Mom and Dad came
home after going out for the night. So we would hop back in our beds, so they wouldn't know
we were playing just before.


The room itself was hotter than Hades in the summer even with the window open. And it had
built in dresser in the wall. Two small ones side by side and two long ones. And if I removed the bottom
one, I could sneak into the attic behind. And pull the draw back in, behind me. Great escape from Mom,
when she was really ticked off at me. And also I could crawl down along my brother's room and make little
noises and scaring the beejeeves out of him. He didn't have built in drawers like I did.

Yes, just like the song says..
"If I could just come in, I swear I’ll leave,
Won’t take nothing but a memoryFrom the house that built me"

Do you have a house you wish you could go back see? And see what you can see out your old window?

No comments: