Thursday, April 22, 2010

Religion in the United States of America

As any of you who have read my blog in the
past, know I am from Rhode Island. Actually
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

Roger Williams founded R.I.,
himself a very religious man, a Christian.
He, being a friend of the Narragansett tribe,
acquired land and founded R.I. and insisted on
religion tolerance. Encouraging
Quakers, and the Jews. He, himself, did
not try to convert the Indian tribes. He believed
church is spiritual only and must remain apart
from the world. He was not a perfect man by
any means…but he did give us Rhode Islanders
the pride of religious tolerance.

Hence, the oldest Synagogue,
Touro Synagogue built in 1759 in downtown Newport.
And the Quaker Meeting House of Newport, R.I. built in 1699.
St. Mary's, Rhode Island's oldest Roman Catholic parish
was founded in 1828.
(which is where John Kennedy married Jackie)

So when I hear Palin and Beck and such say that
United States of America is a Christian only country,
I adamantly disagree…

HAPPY 40TH ....JC
my baby, she will love that...

No comments: