Monday, July 30, 2012

Memory Lane....

My cousin just got finish going thru a lot of the pictures and letters that were sent to
her mother over the years. I was one of those people.
In Thursday's mail, I got a surprise extra large envelope.

I came home and dumped the contents out on to the table outside.
I knew there was going to be pictures.. mostly of the kids over the years.
And she did mention the letters.

I looked thru the pictures, one at a time. Some of my oldest daughter and next to the
oldest daughter with their father (who passed away almost 20 years ago). These
girls are 52 and 50 now. Wow.. There is a sprinkle of grade pictures, as well
as others of places and friends. What a wonderful visit to the past as I went
thru them.

Then there was the letters.. that sprinkled from 1972 to 2005...mostly in the 1980's.
I was going to call my cousin to thank her, but figured I would read just one of the letters..
2 hours later I had devoured\each and everyone of them. One by one..
I walked thru my past with the kids in tow, and my husband who passed away
in the 1986, there was ones after each of my parents passed away. There was some
wow's, as I had met my niece and nephew for the first time..Some of my mother's
reaction to me on my return visit after not being there for 11 years. Some of
it was with tears.

After I finished reading each and everyone of them.. I thought about the letters of
today. A lot of people don't write letter now.. and more don't keep them, like
my aunt did. I keep the ones my children write, but to be honest I don't keep others..
Now I wish I had kept my aunt and uncle letters. But I answered them and later threw them away. What a shame.

Letters are almost like a diary. When you read the ones you wrote 10, 20 or even 30 to 50
years ago... you get a glimpse of what your life was at the time and what you
thought about it.

Being I devoured each one of them, couldn't read them fast enough to get to the other,
I will have to sit down one day soon and go thru them again, and this time read
them slowly, to thoroughly enjoy each story.

Thank you, Aunt Harriet for keeping them.. and I miss you every day...
Thank you, Terry, for keeping them, to send them to each of us to enjoy again.

No comments: