Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Did we step on our parents and grandparent values?


As I watch television.. be it the news, entertainment news or shows, I get more and more discussed with the younger generation in general.  I don’t want to say all of them, as that surely isn’t fair. There are a lot of youths, who do great things, not so much for themselves but others as well.

There is the teen who started a sandwich drive for the homeless, there are those who work with children and the elderly.  There Is even as young man of 15 years, named  Jack Andraka, who is a fifteen year old freshman in high school. He developed a paper sensor that could detect pancreatic, ovarian and lung cancer in five minutes for as little as 3 cents. (which makes you wonder how much the
Insurance and pharmacies will jack that price up.
He did his research at an University. Can you imagine how this research could change the face of cancer and promote early detection. As the article said.. just think… “that scientists spending millions of dollars to find more about cancer, a 15 year old finds out by doing a science fair project!  Jack's method is 168 times FASTER, 26000 times CHEAPER, 400 times MORE SENSITIVE, has 90% SUCCESS RATE. “
For those who didn’t read the article.. and have computers.. here is where you

But others.. and a lot of them are held high in esteem by others young people.. No pride in themselves, no pride in their work.. couldn’t care less how others view them. In fact for shock value, I guess… they push the envelope to see how much they can get by with… With scanty clothes.. (I am no prude, but there is a
limit) and trashing things.. a lot of these are rock stars.. but that isn’t an excuse,
for rudeness, vandalism, and going half naked.

Maybe I am just getting old.. but common decency seems to have gone out the window.  
Did our generation make our grandparents cringe like I do now?

2 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Wow!!!! This young man is amazing!!!

And yeah, I agree that our generation dropped the ball on child rearing. I didn't because I mostly thought my parents didn't do a bad job and my kids are pretty level-headed and responsible. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Victorina said...

This is cool!