Monday, December 23, 2013

69 years later, and still tormenting the kid....

Today is my kid brother's birthday... he is 69.
Geesh, he is getting old.

Over the years we have had some good times,
some bumpy times.. as siblings do.
Lots of memories for sure.

Like when we were kids.. we had our bedrooms upstairs.
His was on one side of the house and mine on the other side. With the stair case between...
Mine had the door ... tiny as it was.. to the attic. The attic
consisted of, more of a crawl space. It slanted with the house eves. About 4 feet high at the wall side, and a foot as the eve side.

The door was only on one side. I don't know why there wasn't a door on the other side, as the crawl space was equal on each side.
BUT... I could remove my bottom draw from my built-in the wall dresser.  I could crawl  thru the hole and come out in the crawl space.  And I could travel down the side of the house to where my brother's bedroom was.  I would crawl down from time to time and make noises on his wall... and then crawl back fast to my side, in thru the drawer slot and put the drawer back. So when my brother would get upset and tell Mom, I was doing something to his wall.. I would be at my door and deny everything.  This worked for years. Until my brother got older.
And faster...
and I left my door open.... 
and he caught me coming back thru the hole.

When Mom and Dad would go out on "date" night, I got stuck with making dinner.  I was making hamburgers. We didn't have buns, we had white bread slices.  So I had put mustard on one side, ketchup on the other side.. and if it was a good night, cheese.
But one night, I had put the bread together, while I was cooking the hamburger.  I turn around and went to put the meat in the sandwich. His was gone.  So I put my meat in mine.. and I sat down and ate it.
We sat there eating for a few minutes... then it dawns on him, there is no meat in his.  Hey, it wasn't my fault he grabbed the bread too soon.

Then there is the time, when I HAD to take him to the Saturday morning movie show. He was a real pain.
Running up and down the aisle, wanting candy...  Well, one day he was in the bathroom, and laughing because he had chocolate candy, and I did not.  was mad... where did you get that candy, I demanded! He told me I couldn't have any as he ate it all and laughed..  He showed me the wrapper and box... Heck at the age of 11, I didn't know what
EX-LAX was.  All I knew was, he didn't get to go to the movies the next day.  Then when I got home, and was laughing about how he had to stay home... he TOLD MOM, that I GAVE to him...  no explaining was going
to get me out of that one...  Just for the recorded.. I didn't and I didn't know what EX-LAX was. But I did think it was 
funny.

Now that we are older, we still do things, but on a much milder side.  Getting cards that are funny and gets to the other.  And when I send him his birthday card, I usually give him advise of what he will be facing when he gets my age. I am 4 years older.

Now we have a card that we send back and forth to each other.
Same card.. just signed again. it is on its 3rd year.  
This year I stuck in a small book with what was going on the year he was born.
Also came across some cassettes that Mom sent me in the 1970's, with them talking on it.. with his brother in law as well... funny, as when they were talking politics, they could have  been talking like it was today.

I guess tormenting the sibling, runs in the family. My father who was 2 years older than his kid brother, still did and they were in their 80's.

SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KID... from the old lady sister... Hang in there, next year you will be 70... and the best is yet to come.   So jump in.. the water is fine.. Being 70 is a blast. 


No comments: