Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Electronics are not my friends...

I hate it that we have become a slave to electronics.
And I hate it that the electronics are smarter than I am.

I gave up my cell phone over 7 years ago.  So the new
ones are really over my head. I see my kids, zip thru their
apps. getting information left and right. From prices of items
we are looking at, telling also what other stores around the
area are selling that product.  GPS  ready. Find a street...
take us to that street.   Take a picture, send it to someone
and they can see it.. answer questions about it and etc.
Do you want it, or not... Me.. I just want to dial the number
and have the person answer.

Which leaves me to yesterday... see I have a wireless phone at home. That phone gives me the chance to call any where I want with no extra charge and it has caller id, that is free. And $20 less than my phone bills were before.... Works fine, although sometimes the sound is slightly delayed, so you might interrupt someone who is talking because they took a breath, so you thought they were finished. But it is easy to overcome.
Have had it a year.  So far so good.......UNTIL yesterday.

I went to call a company... beep, beep and that was it.. Tried
the different phones in the house, to see if it was the phone or the system.  It was the system.  Which left me with NOW what?
After all, it isn't like the old landline, where you go to the neighbor and call on their phone and you get the office and help. This was what do I do, how do I call wireless?  Finally came up with the go to the Verizon site.  Figured out how to do a instant chat with a representative, who found out that the Verizon wireless was out of service in my area... So it was a matter of waiting until they got it fixed.  Which was only about 15 minutes.  Not bad at all Verizon,
but I guess I got at the tail end, as it went out around 6am. I discovered it at 8am.  But for those minutes while I tried to figure out what to do,... how to get a hold of the company... it was frustrating, and a little isolated.  Thank goodness my internet was not thru them.. so I had a choice.  But figured out .. I depend on electronics way too much.
but it is the necessary evil.   Don't even want to go to the subject of what goes on in my mind when my computer goes belly up.
(Crossed fingers), everything is good at this time.

Oh, yea, the phone call.. seems there is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG list for repairs of pipes... so it is take a number, so to speak and wait.
There were over 400 calls since Friday of pipes freezing and some breaking... so it is the waiting game.  Luckily they are on vacation so it isn't as bad as it could be. And hopefully it will be fixed before they get home.  

No comments: