Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Nothing Personal…


Nothing Personal…

We are becoming more isolated as times goes one.. Not talking about the  solitarily  of internet and phones.

We are distancing ourselves more and more.. No more hugging of a hurt child..   Any school bus driver will tell you.. DON’T TOUCH THE KID.  If a chlld falls and hurts themselves… You can’t pick them up and hug them and tell them it is ok..  The most you can do is ..put your hand down to help them stand back up, if they can’t by themselves.  If a child is having a bad day and crying.. YOU CAN NOT TOUCH THE KID.   So far you can still talk to them. 

I worked in a nursing home for over 17 years…  About 3 years later I was working on the afternoon crew.  Meaning 2pm to 10pm.  One night I was putting a woman to bed.. As I raised her up from the chair, to turn to the bed, I have her a hug. She hugged back and hung on for a few minutes.  After I got her settled in bed with covers up close… I lean down and kissed her on the forehead and said..    Good night, sweet dreams and don’t let the bedbugs bite…  we both giggled.. As I step away from her bed to go out the door, I thought I heard her crying. So I step back to the bed, and asked her if she was ok.  She said, I am ok.   Just was thinking about how long it had been since anyone had hugged me.. and also the last time someone kissed me on the forehead and told me good night was my husband, before he died 20 years ago…  How heart breaking…  So I vowed that I would hug often..  And for those who were so weak, I would give them a quick kiss on the forehead and tell them good night… sleep tight.  And always gave hugs.. surprising how many would hug back and hang on tight.
Sad how we forget such a small thing.. Hugging.. a sweet good night..

I hope you tell your love one each night … a quiet sweet good night. And a hug every so often… for no reason..   Not just your spouse, but your child.. your mom and dad..  grandparents as well..  World needs more hugs, not less.. 

But with this virus going around…  I guess Howie Mandel had it right. The fist bumps are in order..  but a handshake shouldn’t be forgotten either.  Seems like we are getting away from being personal anymore..


No comments: