Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Walk to School Day

My fingers are warming up, my
nose is still cold, but it was a great
walk today.

Today is Walk to School Day and I
was one of the lucky ones to walk
with the kids. Here in Kootenai they
had 3 areas. One was the Post Office,
one was from Ponder Point (across the
highway from Kootenia), and one from
Ponderay. I was with the Ponderay group.
We had about 15 children. And the adults
were a mixer of school teachers, school
volunteers, Chief of Police of Ponderay,
2 from the Northside Fire Dept. and an
Engineer from one of the local business,
and then there was I.

At 6:35 a.m. I headed out my door and
walked over to Ponderay to the Post Office,
where we were to gather. This is about 1/3
of my normal walk, so I got there in 15
minutes.

I was just walking up when 3 children,
join me. Then the children started to
gather.. and at 7:15 a.m. the rest of the
adults started to gather as well.

We had a great group of kids, and the
adults had a blast talking to them as
we were led by the Chief of Police thru
Ponderay, crossing Highway 200
(with the traffic stopped by Ponderay's
finest and the flag people) and onward
up the path along Highway 200 to
Hope Street of Kootenai.

Turning up Hope Street the group was
slowing down, I don't know if they were
tired or maybe it was the look of having
to go to school,and the fun was getting
over. But the teacher mention there
was juice inside for all when they got
in, so the steps got faster. So I bid them
goodbye at the door and headed home.

Nothing lifts the spirit like watching
kids having fun...

No comments: