Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday Hodge Podge

Ground Hog Day??? Has that
glorified rat, ever said winter is
over? Has he ever not seen his
shadow? Never that my memory
has served. But then my memory
of late, has been like a match head
on fire. Flares fast, and is gone.
This has to be one of the dumbest
celebrations. "Why don't they just say
Feb. 2nd,... well, folks we have 6 more
weeks of winter and spring will be here?"
Oh, well,... whatever.
update:
ok.ok..so the little rodent said spring is here.
yea, right.. see you March 16th when it starts
to warm up, if we are lucky.

American gluttony again.. Seems that
Exxon is bragging about their 39+ BILLION
dollar PROFIT. Folks, that is profit, that is
after all the wages, and pay for the product,
and etc... PROFIT!! 39+BILLION. And they
sing a sad song about how bad it is to
pay for the crude? 39 BILLION PROFIT!!.
Oh, to have such a woe...
And people are still homeless, children
are still in food lines at churches and shelters,
and many people without health insurance.

A couple days ago, on another blog, I was
kind of taken to task over the word OLD BROAD.
I used it in reference to Molly Ivins, the columnist,
who passed away.
It does my heart good to read Kathleen Parker
this morning in the paper. Because she, too,
referred to Ivins as Broad. A great Broad.
To quote Ms. Parker:
"To the World War II crowd, and to some
of us who were raised by them, a Great Broad
was more than a mere woman. The best
compliment my father could pay a woman
was to say, "She is one great broad"."


She goes on to explain what that means,
and also says:
"A great broad is everlasting, a presence,
a force, a woman of substance - solid,
intelligent, humorous, sexy and full of "it"
Reliable, strong, confident and competent,
she walks into a room and causes a stir."
THANK YOU, KATHLEEN PARKER...
I could only wish to be referred to as...
a great broad... or even just Broad.

So God Bless, Molly Ivins, sure hope
you are still giving them hell, and we
will continue down here.

6 comments:

saraeanderson said...

Kathleen Parker has also made it her personal mission to convince Americans that date rape isn't really a crime, so I don't know if you really want her on your side.

Not that I'm not on your side here - I dig reclaiming words that are supposed to be insults an recycling them into compliments (a la "queer").

raymond pert said...

You are totally in my head. When I opened the newspaper to K. Parker's tribute to Molly Ivins, I immediately thought of you, Cis. I didn't know exactly how to state my support for you calling Molly an Old Broad. Here's what I can say: I teach a class with another teacher, who is a woman, and is nearly 60 years old. She's also from Idaho.

I/we attract quite a few women students in their forties or so who have been knocked around and now are at school, working to turn things around.

We refer to these favorite students of ours as our "Old Broads". We mean it endearingly. We know what we are talking about. It's a way of praising the initiative, determination, persistence, intelligence, and older age (compared to their younger fellow students) of these students.

So, for whatever it's worth, I love the term "Old Broad" when it's used to speak affectionately.

You show 'em Cis. You old broad!

rp

Mari Meehan said...

Molly Ivins was a great broad in the very best sense of the word. Maybe you had to have lived in Texas. Ann Richards was also a great broad.

Laura Bush is not. Nice lady but not a great broad. Nor is Barbara Bush. You have to be a special kind of lady to be a great broad. I'd think of you as one and know you'd not be insulted!

stebbijo said...

Okay Cis - you make a very valid point. I am going to do some coffee cups with Old Broad - Great Broad ect. I think they would sell. Just don't call be Broad as Barn! ;-)

stebbijo said...

I mean BROAD AS A BARN. These corrections are good for comment build up - though!

Word Tosser said...

now there is a cup I would buy
and I am already as broad as a barn... lol