Thursday, February 15, 2007

Junk Mail

Those of us who have computer,
cuss the spam. But we have had
spam in our lives for years. It was
called Junk Mail.

One part of Junk Mail that irritated
me the most, was for my mother-in-law.
After she passed away we would get
junk mail in her name. We had her
mail transferred to our address, so
we could keep on top of her bills and etc.

It took two years before the mail finally
quit. I would send it back to the ones who
provided self stamp envelopes. We would
get life insurance ads even a year later. Some
times it was kind of rough on the King to
get them. I would just shred them as they
came unless they had the self stamp.

But about a year ago, some one put her
name back on the junk mail list and we
have started to get it all over again. I have
sent the cards back with deceased 2000.
But they still come. Even yesterday there
was another.

But then I read a Time or Newsweek yesterday,
and there was a man telling about getting mail
in his son's name. His son died when he was 7.
He is still getting mail. Ads for class rings, life
insurance and etc. Showed a picture of him
with a hand full of junk mail for his son. His
son would be 18 this year. There was even
ads for college funds. How hard this must be.

I know companies buy these names for a fee
but you would think someone would research
these names first. Especially when these
people have been dead for so long. It is just
cruel to the families, especially the ones who
lost their children.

I hate to say this, because I think we are
over lawed now...but there just ought to be
a law against sending junk mail to the deceased.

3 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

Isn't that what the "dead" letter office is for??

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Unbelievably, to me anyway, the Readers Digest sold our name and we get a ton of stuff. How do I know this? Because for years (30 at least) we have gotten the magazine and the name has been wrong. (Button instead of Britton) I wrote and told them but they never got it straightened out, so I quite bothering. But, you wouldn't believe the junk we get for Ron Button!!! I refuse to renew my subscription again!

Toni

God's Helper said...

Great going Toni. I like the idea of sending every sender, junk mail from some other company in the self stamped envelopes.. Maybe they would get the idea. The hardest thing I dealt with after my Mom died, was a phone call from her bank. They wanted to give her a credit card or something. When I told the caller she had died two days before, she almost cried. No more calls!