Saturday, April 25, 2009

best email of the week





"Warshing" Clothes Recipe.........

Never thought of a "washer" in this light before. what a blessing!
"Warshing Clothes Recipe" -- imagine having a recipe for this ! ! !
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe:
this is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook -
with spelling errors and all.

WARSHING CLOTHES
Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont
blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.
Sort things, make 3 piles
1 pile white,
1 pile colored,
1 pile work britches and rags.
To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down
with boiling water.
Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub
colored don't boil just wrench and starch.
Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
Hang old rags on fence.
Spread tea towels on grass.
Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
Turn tubs upside down.
Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs.. Brew cup of tea, sit
and rock a spell and count your blessings.
================================================
Paste this over your washer and dryer Next time when you think
things are bleak, read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer,
and give thanks.. First thing each morning you should run and hug
your washer and dryer, also your toilet---those two-holers used to
get mighty cold!
For you non-southerners - wrench means, rinse ;)
AND WE THOUGHT WE HAVE IT ROUGH


Now I didn't have to heat the water outside when I was a kid.
I was a helper until I was 12,
but then I was given the chore of running the wash thru the
ringer... and why my hand and arm aren't at least
a inch thinner than the other, I don't know ... as it surely
ran it thru the ringer enough times. And my other hand
was quite good of socking that release button.
And then there was the carrying the clothes up the stairs from
the basement, and then hang them on the clothes line that ran
out to the middle of the yard. With the spindle on it, so you could
hang out the clothes, then push it out, hang up more, and push it
out. You lost all modesty when you had to hang out the under
clothes. And the freezing of the clothes? the sheets especially.
One time I was playing with the corner of one of the frozen
sheets, and it broke off. Mom was ticked...
And we say the "good old days"...

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

I use to have to use the mangle when I was younger, we didnt have a washing machine but had a big old pot that me mum use to put on the sort of woodburner thing... we also had a china butler sink and wooden draining board in the kitchen, no fitted cupboards though just odd free standing things.... we had a 2 height washing line, the poles were old wooden masts from my grandfathers old sailing buddies at the yacht club.... we also had an wooden airer that me mum would hang the smalls on and hoist up over the cooker LOL.... and we had an old wooden clothes horse (as it was called over here) where always there would be washing hanging on and put around the open fire....

I do have a tumble drier but I rarely use it and then only in the winter..... I always hang me washing out on the line, as does most over in this country, even the rich LOL.... a doodle once told me that it was only the lower class that hung washing on the line or those that were frugal.... well thats bollocks over here.... I have 4 loads of washing out on the line now as I type....

I also use to boil my lads nappies LOL...... only used the occasional disposable for our Sam and Jacob but never for me other 2 lads...

Jebus Im old.....

x