Thursday, April 02, 2009

Irish Lace....

Do you know what Irish Lace is?
It is found in the house but not called
Irish Lace there. And despised.
But in the barn it is treasured.

If a woman see it in her house,
she is horrified and hopes that
visitors don't see it.

But in a barn, at least a horse
barn it is treasured and left alone
to grow. Because it has medicinal
purposes. See it stops bleeding.
My mother would slap anyone
who touched it in her barn. Any
one who tried to clean, and remove
it, was threaten with an inch of their
lives.

So what is this Irish Lace that my
mother treasured? What is it that
brings horror to a housewife. And
how can it be two things in one?

It is cob webs. The story is that
in Ireland, the Irish used it for
stopping bleeding. In barns, you never
knew when it would be needed.
Or how much. So every barn had
it and it was treasured. And it looped
thru the barn ceilings from stall to stall.
Hence, Irish Lace,

3 comments:

PinkAcorn said...

I thought it was called cob webs?

Word Tosser said...

just so others won't think that PinkAcorn has lost it..I changed it out front... I had cow web... brain freeze, I guess...

Mari Meehan said...

I didn't know that! Now I have a good reason to give when Hub starts nagging me about my housekeeping skills!