Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Expense

Easter use to be very expensive in years past.
It wasn't the candy. Or the eggs. Or even presents.
Which by the way, when I was a kid, there wasn't any
presents, only candy eggs, cheeps, and jelly beans
eggs. Same for my kids.

The expense was clothing. All the sales ads for at least
a month ahead of time, where of Easter clothing. You had
to have your Mary Jane's (for those younger than 50, that
is white shiny shoes for Spring, black for fall) and white
gloves. You had a new dress just for Easter Sunday morning.
The young men had to have a suit. Yes, boys wore suits.
Same for the parents... all new clothes.

For those who weren't so well off, or those whose mothers
who sewed, there were newly made clothing. My mother
made me for my last at home Easter Day outfit, was a black and white
checked coat and purse that was reversible with black on the
other side. Also a hat that match them, what was also reversible.

When I was at church this past Sunday, I did not see anyone in
new clothing, and surely there was no gloves, or Mary Jane's in
sight. Nothing that there is anything wrong with that. But I just
noticed while everyone looked very nice, it just wasn't like it use
to be. And no, I didn't have anything new on either.

No comments: