Wednesday, October 24, 2018

I’ll go hunting with you Jake, but….. and the sound of silence…..


I’ll go hunting with you Jake, but….. and the sound of silence…..

Hunting with the King these last 4 days, brings back
old memories…

See I wasn’t raised with hunting.  I lived in R.I.
And rarely there is hunting there.. and it is mostly birds.  Not saying there isn’t any deer hunting as there were..  My husband Marv use to hunt on Prudence Island..  My cousin own the farm and winery. Marv did some mechanic work for them.. so they let him hunt on their property..Down hill part was,  it was bow and arrow… So Marv learn how to shoot with bow and arrows.  Their deer were soooo much smaller than the ones in Washington and Idaho. 

My first husband didn’t hunt.. don’t know why as he was raised in Wa.  He didn’t even own a gun until his brother passed away and he got it.. It sat in our closet for years.

But when I married Marv.. he hunted all of his life in Minnesota… and Washington.  So he set out to teach me how to shoot a rifle.  I did pretty good.. hit the target anyway…  I hunted with Marv for years.  When we lived in Kelso we road hunt. As we hunted in the Weyerhaeuser area. Weyerhaeuser is a HUGE lumber/forest area.  And they allowed hunting. Lots of valleys and roads.  
Later we moved to Cle Elum, Washington…there we did a LOT of hiking.. thru the woods..  Then  we had gotten horses, so we would hunt using horses and also have a campsite.
Of all the hunting I have done, that was the best of times..  Cooking out.. camp fire and taking about where to hunt the next day.  The horse wore red blankets under their saddles, so we didn’t get shot. 

With the King, he has hunting partners and I really not into hunting anymore.  I love the meat.. but just not into it.   When his buddies can’t go hunting.. because they had to go back to work… I would go with him, over the years…I didn’t want him out in the woods by himself.. He would shoot with the gun.. and I would shoot with a camera.  Nice times.. talking.. enjoying each others company.  Usually Misty goes too…  she loves to sniff out the woods, while I take pictures .. always on a leash..  In the woods you have to be careful.. if a dog is seen chasing wild life, they don’t make it home..   Also I would take a book to read, if the King is out for a while… and now.. he doesn’t hike it anymore… he uses a 4 wheeler, like you saw in yesterdays, post.

One of the things that was eerie is the silence.  We did not see one deer, or elk..  but even more than that. While I waited for the King, I noticed no birds singing.. or talking.. or flying… just silence….. odd.
Real odd.  I use to love the sounds of the birds..

No comments: