Wednesday, April 12, 2006

So Nice So Wrong

How can something so nice..
go so wrong?
We have for 3 years wanted
to replace our old window in
the living room.
It is an old window. And I
hate washing it, as it is so
tall and so wide, I have visions
of myself falling thru it as I
stand on a chair to reach the
top. With snarls of glass
impairing me.
We want a window that slides,
so we can get a cross ventilation.
So this year is the year. We
measure last year... we measured
this year.
And last month we ordered it.
It is a special order as it is an
unusual size. Remember this
part.
The window showed up last
week. We are thrilled. We,
especially me, are chomping
at the bite to get it in. We have
two people who will help and
even a third one will travel, if
needed.
So in our plan to make this work
as easy as possible. The King
and I took off the storm window.
So all they would have to do is,
take out the old and put in the new.
Sounds like a plan, right? Only
about 3 hours work. Oh, good,
just one morning and bing, it is in.
How can things go so wrong. We
were cleaning up the sill in the space
that was between the storm and
regular glass. The King goes to
see exactly how wide the new window
is, so he knows how much framing he
has to remove to put in the new one.
As the new one has its own framing.
The old glass was placed, sealed,
and framed.
The King came back and measured
the old window. Then back to the new
one, and then back to the old one.
His face didn't look good. He looked
at me and said those famous words
that husbands always use... "How could
you mess up on the size? How did
you mess up on the measuring? "
Now I was the one with the beginning
of the tape, not the end with the numbers.
I had the paper and pen... I wrote down
what I heard him say. So I gave him
the typical wife look. You know the
glare.
The thing is with the King and I. We
face disappointment hard like any
one else. But in the almost 20 years,
we stay there only a few minutes, and
then we try to figure out how are we
going to get things to work. How to
make lemonade of the lemon. And
find the humor in it.
Remember above, I told you to
remember the odd size. Well,
odd size, special windows are
NON RETURNABLE.
So we will be pulling 6 inches
from each side of the window
wall. Just increasing the 3 hour
job to a possible, depending on
cussing and how smoothly this
goes, to a two day job.
My daughter and I have already
thought of things we could do
for a day at least, while this job
is in progress. This is one job
I don't want to be around to see.
Only the results.

1 comment:

God's Helper said...

An extra foot wide?? WOW. I would go visit a good friend!!