Wednesday, May 10, 2006

COOKING LESSONS

With Mother's Day approaching,
I was wondering, do Mom's still
teach their daughter's to cook?
Or their sons?

Since the beginning of time,
girls learn to cook in the kitchen
with their mothers. But in the
1950's and 60's that started to
decline. Not all mother's, but
a lot of them, didn't push the
cooking envelope.

I know I did do the cooking
on Friday nights, on the folk's
night out. But that was soup and
sandwiches. Hamburger and hot
dogs. I remember I use to put
all kinds of stuff on the bun, and
one time closed the bun to spread
the stuff.... turn to get the meat,
and when I turn around again,
my brother had already taken
the bun.

So my cooking was mostly
prep cook (you know peel
the potatoes and such)
and parent night out. And yes,
my brother is still alive to tell
about it. And he was at my
mercy, as he and I were the
only children in our
household.

I did give my own children....
sons as well as daughters, a
cooking night as they hit
their teens. Figured the boys
should learn to feed themselves,
until they could talk some poor
unsuspecting gal into marriage.

Just like my daughters had to
know how to split wood and
feed the fire. How to camp,
and such things that boys learn.

So did your mother teach you
how to cook? Do girls today
learn how to cook? Or do
they depend on Papa Murphy,
Burger King and etc.?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It is a wonderful tradition to be able to pass on. Sadly, I think it might get lost in the hustle and bustle of prepackaged meals.