Tuesday, September 26, 2006

How Connected Are We?

With conversations with my cell phone
company today. Knowing how much we
pay each month with the combo of our
home phone. And then of course there is
my computer. I can't believe how much
we pay. And then add on the television.

I can remember way back when, that is
when they first talked about pay TV. I laughed.
I wasn't going to pay for what I got for free thru
the air. They are nuts.

Well, that was all fine and good when we lived
near a big city where an antenna brought in
about 7 or 8 channels. But now I live out
in-between mountains and yes, you can if
the leaves are just right, can get one channel
maybe two if lucky.

So here we sit paying big bucks to watch
15 channels even though the package is for
56. The other channels are selling channels,
sports, and religious. We don't do sports, and
we have our own church, thank you and like to
see first hand any thing we want to buy.

The cell phone is the real attachment. I personally
use mine for long distance on weekends (free minutes)
and to find my husband when we are in Costco,
Sportsman Store, Black Sheep and other big box
stores. It keeps our sanity, and stress down. After
walking the store about 8 times, the seeker is ready
to kill the seekee. Cell phone help keep the spouse
alive and in good humor.

Taking the King's cell phone away would be like
cutting his umbilical cord.

I wonder, how did I ever make it when I was in my
40's. That is just 20 years ago. No satellite TV.
No cell phones, no computers... but I seem to
do quite well.

2 comments:

Untangled Family Roots said...

I know what you mean. I actually canceled our cell phones a few years ago. I have unlimited long distance on my home phone. I now have high speed cable for the computer, but the reduced high speed (which is just great! Better than dial up) Then I canceld our TV cable, but because of the high speed for the computer I still get the first 22 chanels through a clear cable connection (which includes the local channels, that's all I care about) and we do just find. I pay less than $30 for the cable and less than $50 for the long distance. I got tired of paying over $100 (when we went over min.) on the cell plus another $50 for home phone plus another $40 for the highest high speed internet and then another $60 for cable. I finally said enough is enough we can definately do with less!

Idaho Dad said...

We don't have cable for the TV, only for the Internet. We have Netflix to rent movies and TV shows on DVD... That's worked out very well for the past few years. I love watching what we want when we want (and with no commercials!).

We also don't have a phone line into our house, relying instead on our cell phones. That has also worked well for the past three years. So, basically, $35 for the Hi-Speed Internet, $18 for Netflix, and $80 for the two cell phones.