Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bitter? Darn Right!!

With all the talk about layoffs, loyalty to one's employer
and employers loyalty to their employee's... it made me
think of how it use to be.

When I was young, it was a matter of pride to work and
be loyal to your employer. Be it civil service, like my Dad,
or in the private sector.

Even when I started out working it was still the same.
When I went to work for the Naval Exchange (also civil service)
most of the employees were there 18 years to 30 years.
And in fact my girl friend and I had gotten our jobs because
of the fact that others had retired after 30 years.
I didn't fair as well, as I was one to question things that didn't
seem fair. I wasn't good at the office politics.

But if one had more than 3 jobs in a ten year time or less, you
were thought to be a failure. And not really a good hire for a new
employee who saw your record. Meant you weren't reliable, not
good at committing.

I guess I kind of instilled that into my kids, as most of them have
had their jobs for over 10 years. Which is a rarity now days.
Even I worked for 17+ years before retiring. Even when things were
bad with the Administration, I still stuck it out. I was loyal to my
residents, I guess, as I cared.

But today, employers are few and far between who are loyal to
their employees.
There are a couple here in the Bonner County area. Luckily, my
daughter works for just a company. But there are a few employers
here who lay off, send the jobs to another state.

Even kids who work for the food industry learn quickly, it is the
bottom dollar that controls the company they work for. A good
worker, who doesn't call off, still will find his/her hours cut because
a new person has been hired. And they rather keep a bunch of
temporary workers. More to pull from? No bennies? I don't know.
But it sure doesn't tell the teen to depend on or be loyal to the
company. And only those who are strong enough to speak up,
or leave to the next food industry job. Fast food, fast change
of jobs.

But over all, lots of companies have left, not only their states, but
the countries. Leaving behind, employees who thought they would
have a life time job. Employee's who stuck with their companies for 10,15
and 20 years, only to see them walk out on the employee's. Lots of
companies have had CEO's who walked with the retirements
of those employee's with no recourse for the employee.
So are they bitter? You bet.

Even in the changing of jobs, some have taken their IRA's and etc.
on to the next company. But see it go down the drain after investing for
5, 10 or even 15 years. Bitter, oh, yea. You would be too. And when it
is a big company in a small town, they not only take the employees
down the lane, but the town with them. Stores, services, and such, all lose.
Bitter you bet.

So who comes to the rescue? Who do the people talk to? Their fellow workers
who sit in the coffee shops living on umemployment until it runs out?
Their Pastor for guidance, as they look at their families?
Bitter, yes, Mr. Obama, that is true.

And those who make fun of him, and his wording.
Until you walk in those shoes, of those who lost their jobs, and close to
or have already lost their homes?
Shame on you...because you are out
of touch.

When you read how CEO's get hundred of thousands, even millions for bonuses,
yet you also hear that the company are rising up their prices, so they can afford
to update their companies, When you see people who get millions while the blue
collars are barely making it, and getting laid off to save money, and they are all
working at the same company.
Bitter yes...

When gas prices gets higher and higher, and you don't worry about if you will get
to travel for vacation, you wonder if you are going to be able to afford to get to work.
Or afford the groceries with the hikes in fuel charges added in.
Bitter, hell yes.

And don't give me the "them and us" jealousy bit, or the if only you had gone to
college bit,..... folks we are in this together. So if you are making over $140,000
a year, you just won't understand. But you will, if your company decides to have
you be one of their downsizing persons. Then you will understand what it is to
live on $20,000 or less a year.
Bitter, that will be you... and then you will understand.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Very well said. Where will it all end?

The New Arch Druid's take on the news said...

I watched a bit of news today. Senator John McCain demonstrating a smug better than thou attitude toward the press, Senator Obama, And Senator Chris Dodd. So, who's elitist?

Anonymous said...

There is much to be bitter about, and I enjoyed your story, but............As I get older, I see too many bitter people around. Not happy at all, just mad at the world. I make less than 15k a year for a whole household and I could be bitter, but I choose to avoid that stress. For me, I always try to find the good in people and things, though that can be hard these days. At the end of the day, I do hope you have a smile thrown in there somewhere. The Stickman