Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Home Remedies

Everyone has them. Something out of
the ordinary, but it works.

My family, it was sugar and water for
hiccups. It was taught to me by my
favorite old Aunt Em. And it worked and
still does. You put a teaspoon of sugar in
our mouth and drink a glass of water fast.

Of course in this day and age with sugar
being a no no, and the principal I would
believe, is that you are holding your breathe
as you drink down the water to get rid of the
sugar, is why it works. So just holding your
breathe would work too. But not as comforting.

Also have tried the Vick for everything. And that
works. Put it on your feet, and you will stop coughing.
Of course we all had it put under our noses as kids.
Or on our noses. But a friends swears by it, and I
can attest to it working on sores as well. Sure cure an
infection I had on my finger. Kind of reminds me of
the father in My Greek Wedding, who used Windex for
everything. But I am telling you, it works.

And I know that eating coconut will stop diarrhea.

Saw a booklet in my mail when is trying to get me to
buy their book, and get 3 free, of cures. Some of them
I really have to laugh at.

Gin soaked raisins cure for aches and pains. Well,
you mix 1 pint of gin with a pound of raisin, heck
yea, you are going to feel better, or no pain anyway.
Nothing else either.

Oh yea, forgot the Russian one... You mix vodka with a
nutrient (you have to send $29.95 to find out which nutrient)
and it will grow hair on your head. Probably you are so drunk
you think you see hair up there.


Then there is the garlic and Cognac cure. For the bird
flu. Well, after that, who cares if you got the flu or not.

My grandfather in the 50's said that Gerital was the
best. It made him feel so much peppier.. Then I read
several years later, it had a great deal of alcohol in it.
So yea, he feel good. lol...Who made these up? Alcoholics

Then there is get rid of warts. You take your old dishrag,
and buried it in your neighbors field and two days later
your warts are gone. That and no headaches with tomatoes
on your feet for 2 days. Got to love those old remedies.

I heard that there are 3 things that will sell easy.
1. was something to grown hair on a bald headed man.
2. something to increase a man's manhood.
3. something that will have you losing weight with in weeks.
Use to be 4.. that one was to make women's breast bigger,
but since implants that ad doesn't do so well.

So what is your family home remedy?

4 comments:

Betty said...

I've heard that Vicks also gets rid of toe nail fungus. Ick. People swear by it for many things, though.

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Cider vinegar and honey. Ronnie took it in warm water for years for arthritis.....now pops and Aleve.

Toni

Anonymous said...

Ray's Mom said to cure an earache blow cigar smoke in the ear. icky and stinky. My 1st mother in law said when changing a baby's wet diaper, use that same wet diaper to wash the babies face cuz it will give baby a beautiful complection. sick and icky also.(she was from Sweden so maybe a remedy from there?)
As you probably know I didn't leave my babies til they were well potty trained and old enough to to have lots of conversations with me-ha.
guess I kind of made them into little narcs-ha.
Cis can tell you that they all grew up to be wonderful productive citizens and all 5 had beautiful skin never the less..
love ya cis,
maureen

Books, hooks, needles, and my weightloss journey said...

Vinegar and honey in warm water, then sip as much as you can for as long as you can stand to, for the nausea from the flu. The vinegar helps reset the bacterium in your stomach, and the honey helps it taste better. That one is from my dad, we did if for years. It works about 75% of the time.
The other one my dad swears by is Honey for cuts large and small. We used honey like Neosporin, we now know honey has antibacterial qualities. In fact when my parents were removing sod in order to make a flower bed, my mom hit my dad's finger with the shovel and made a deep gash on the back of his middle finger. He refused to go to the hospital and get stitches, instead insisting on just 'honey bandaids'. It sealed back down, and he didn't get an infection, in spite of the dirt that was still in the wound.
Gargling with warm salt water is good for many sore throat problems.
For earaches, a couple of drops of some type of oil (can't remember now what kind), in the ear then with cotton balls placed after. This one is done right before bed, if it was one ear we were supposed to sleep with that ear toward the ceiling, both ears and it didn't matter.